Sugars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugars

HI all, just wondered what you prefer to use in brewing, beet or cane sugar? What is the difference in brewing?

1,000,000,000% vote for cane. You have me on a pet subject here.

Beat sugar does leave a taste. Invert sugar is unnecessary (the yeast does this anyway)

There is other threads on this if you fancy some bedtime reading.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

ok so cane sugar it is.. does it matter which one, is there a difference between, white, demerara and caster? will any do as long as its cane?

Comment

White is generally the cheapest and it is neutral. Demerarararera etc will impart a taste. Caster is only extra fine (read more expensive)
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Brown sugar will also add colour that you might not want
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

so white granulated or caster it is then ? Will caster disolve easier bing finer?

Comment

To a certain extent it will. Personally I always dissolve sugars in hot water, then add it to my (for preference) beer. Top up with cold water and you're done.
              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
              -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by robbo79 View Post
                so white granulated or caster it is then ? Will caster disolve easier bing finer?
                Don't waste money buying caster sugar, just blitz cheap granulated sugar in a kitchen food processor.
                My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

I would caution against using caster sugar, as it can sometimes contain starch or anti-caking agents. I think ordinary white cane sugar is your best bet.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                    I would caution against using caster sugar, as it can sometimes contain starch or anti-caking agents. I think ordinary white cane sugar is your best bet.
                    As far as I understand Steve, here, caster sugar is just finer ground "normal" sugar i.e. what's sold as granulated.

The thing is, is that here, they don't tend to mark up whether it's from cane or beet.

So it sort of works out like this....... Tate&Lyle, Whitworths is cane, British Sugar/Silver Spoon is beet. There's some times slightly different brands in some of the German discounters like Aldi, Lidl etc, but they tend to mark it as cane or beet.

Just my 2 pence worth (again)

regards

jtfb
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Good point I forgot that.

Always read the label - no say cane no buy. I am a Tate and Lyle guy myself. I wait the for offers and then do a trolley dash!
                      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 15-01-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Where I live, I don't think any of the stores carry beet sugar. Anything that's white is almost assuredly cane.
                        Steve

Comment

Where I live, I don't think any of the stores carry beet sugar. Anything that's white is almost assuredly cane.
                          Oh that life was sooo easy. Tate and Lyle is the only brand we can be sure it cane.

Comment

Working...
                          X