Cleaning kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning kegs

I have made a hose to connect my tap to the 'in' of the keg.

When you put wine in kegs they can get really sh!tty when you put beer in kegs it get really yeasty. Both have to go...

So I clean em like this....
    Take the lid off. wash separately.
    Connect hose.
    Rinse sediment out.
    Turn off tap.
    Using a pump spray, coat all the upper inside of the keg with TFR. With enough to let it run down.
    Meditate to 30 secs (or wash the lid)
    Rinse n shake
    Rinse n shake
    Rinse n shake
    Drain.
    Done.

Is this the best way or have other people found quicker ways?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

If by TFR you mean traffic film remover aka carwash detergent I can see that working but would be concerned about residues. Never put wine in my kegs as I would be concerned over the massive head space and filled brim full are really awkward to move. When empty of beer I find a soak in hot water and a good wipe with a soft cloth loosens any crud. Then 20 or so squirts with the old 10% sod met keeps the keg sweet until I am ready to refill it. I then rinse it and sterilise with Ritchies cleaner and steriliser. As sterilising is more expensive than sod met I try to reuse the solution several times, ie wine bottles or even demijohns.

edit,

just read other thread and realise you are talking about cornies, I was referring to Beer Spheres or similar
    Last edited by Original Mac; 23-01-2011, 04:16 PM.
    Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

TFR - I agree with you on residues hence three rinses.
      Safer and stronger than chlorine IMO.

Soaking them is ok, until you are dealing with several at a time.

Wine - head space is not an issue - really I have been using cornies to 2+ years now - no problem. CO2 cover works.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X