Tesco Extra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesco Extra

Just come back from the obligatory weekly shopping trip and am pleased to report that Tesco Extra ( well My local one Bidston , Wirral ) is selling home brewing /winemakeing stuff. They had lots of kits and equipment. I didnt take much notice of the prices , but it seamed reasonable for some things and expensive for others.
    Just thought Id mention it

So Tescos are not happy with putting all the high street grocery, butchers, record, fashion shops out of business, they're now trying to put an end to your local HBS.

I would rather drive to the next town than spend my money in Tesco. B******s.
    :
    D

Comment

That wasn't meant to be ranty or nasty it is just a pet hate of mine.

Comment

Sounds like Tesco is the Wal-mart of the UK.

Steve
        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Can I put an alternative view here?

Yes, Tesco's are a PITA, and they seem to be going for world domination, at least in the grocery world, and that is a very bad thing I grant you.

However, let's "Polyanna" this. Joe (or Jill) Bloggs lives in a place where there's not an HBS in sight. One day he's wandering around Tesco's and sees the homebrew section. 'Hmm,' he thinks. 'That's an idea', so he picks up a kit, makes it up and enjoys the results. After two or three kits he's now hooked, but Tesco's have a limited range and Joe wants to expand his hobby. He'll maybe buy a couple of books and find out he needs more sophisticated equipment, and he wants to try non kit wines. He goes onto the internet and not only finds us, but also an HBS within travelling distance. Failing that he finds plenty of suppliers on the web. His friends and relations are much impressed with his wines and some think they'd like to take up the hobby too.

So, someone who wouldn't have thought about making his own wine or beer had the seed planted by Tesco's and the ripples maybe spread to a couple of friends, and possibly to their friends too, and that can only be a good thing for everyone.

Don't you think?
          Last edited by Mamgiowl; 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I'm with Miamgowl here. I think it is much more likely that places where tesco start doing this will see more people through the door at the LHBS.

Besides, the staff in tesco couldn't find their airlock from their bung.
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
              Sounds like Tesco is the Wal-mart of the UK.

Steve
              No, Wal-mart is the Wal-mart of the UK - well actually they own the ASDA chain, but don't use quite so many of the aggressive tactics that Wal-mart US are famed for.

No, Tesco are in a similar vein, but generally have been more careful in expanding, only going for stuff that shows a realistic markup (like Banking for example).

I'd actually say that they're just trying to get on the band wagon, what with us all having been brain washed with the dire position we're all supposed to be in because of the financial/banking problems of recent times. Because it's one of those "hobby things" which doesn't generate huge interest, I can see them dropping these lines. Hopefully before it screws with "proper" HBS.

regards

jtfb
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

My Local Tesco Extra (Broadstairs, Kent) has been stocking HB kit for at least a year. They are not cheap (Woodfordes Wherry is £20, Youngs primary 5 gal fermenter was £14... and none of them had a lid with them!).

Their range is limited to Youngs homebrew stuff, ie cantina and definitive country wines and the one can beer kits (with the one exception of wherry).

For a brief spell last year they got a job lot of decent kit wines (California connoisseur 5 gal kits) which were flogged off at silly prices (£10-£20/kit). Shame they've never repeated this.

I can't see them shifting much stock but they don't appear to be stopping any of their HB lines here. owever, if they do and the prices are slashed I will fill my boots

Incidentally, I rely on the internet for almost all my HB kit but being able to pick up a spare bung/airlock/ whatever when in dire need is most convenient and worth the few bob extra.

I don't think Carl et al have much to worry about.
                regards

Mark

http://markblades.com
                Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                  Can I put an alternative view here?

Yes, Tesco's are a PITA, and they seem to be going for world domination, at least in the grocery world, and that is a very bad thing I grant you.

So, someone who wouldn't have thought about making his own wine or beer had the seed planted by Tesco's and the ripples maybe spread to a couple of friends, and possibly to their friends too, and that can only be a good thing for everyone.

Don't you think?
                  Mamgiowl that was a very well written reply with a completely valid argument. I agree that getting more people into home brewing is no bad thing but I'm not changing my opinion of Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                    Mamgiowl that was a very well written reply with a completely valid argument. I agree that getting more people into home brewing is no bad thing but I'm not changing my opinion of Tesco.
                    There is always a 'half full or half empty' view for everything. I for one am anti, look what Tesco's are doing to our High Street's. In some parts of the country it is impossible to NOT shop at Tesco - if you vote with you feet you starve (perhaps in reallity you use a lot of diesel). ook at the land banking. If Tesco stuck to groceries it would not be soooo bad. They have the potential be more powerful that the government.
                    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 06-02-2011, 07:26 AM.
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                    X