Very quick Christmas pud question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very quick Christmas pud question

Finally got round to starting this tonight...first attempt.

I'm sitting at the moment waiting for it to cool enough to pitch the yeast.
    Anyway, I've just realised I mis-read the recipe slightly and have only added 1 litre of White Grape Juice.
    Luckily I didnt add any sugar yet to take it up to the recomended 1090 to start with.

So question is, would a litre of apple do th job? Or would I be better waiting till tomorrow to get the Grape juice?
    And if so...what would be the revised SG to go for tonight (bearing in mind with two litre in to begin with we should head for 1090)?

Appreciate any help

Out with the calculator ....

1.090 equates to 240 grammes per litre sugar. In 5 litres that is 1200g.

A litre of your average white grape juice contains around 165g sugar.

That means your must should contain 1035g, in 4 litres, which is 258 g per l.

That equates to an SG of around 1.097.

I wouldn't get to obsessed with hitting exactly that SG. You'll be sugar-feeding the must anyway, and the must will be full of bits of pudding, so trying to measure SG accurately isn't easy

Actually, an easier way may be to make the must up to 1.090 now, then add the White Grape Juice tomorrow, plus (240 - number of g sugar in that WGJ) tomorrow.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

"Actually, an easier way may be to make the must up to 1.090 now, then add the White Grape Juice tomorrow, plus (240 - number of g sugar in that WGJ) tomorrow."

Thanks Goldseal. That actually makes pefect sense! tonight or tomorrow for the second litre of grape is definately a 6 of one..half a dozen of the other scenario.

Thanks for answering so quickly mate...sometinme I just need a wee bit of reasurance!

Comment

No problem. Christmas Pud is a messy, smelly wine to make, but it is well worth it
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I'me using the wine number 4 method on this. The Ferment is taking far too long I think.
          First four or five days was greae, went down to 1070 in no time. Then slowed down to a complete stop. I moved it to a warmer place, added some more nutrient and a pinch of acid, stirred it well and it went off again. It went down to 1050 in just a couple of days.
          Then it slowed right down again, and seemed to be stuck on 1030. Yesterday I added another bit of nutrient and acid and mixed it again. Seems to be going again and today it's dowm to about 1025.

I'm wondering if I should persivere and wait till it goes down to 1010 before racking? It really should have been at that stage over a week ago and I'm scared it will oxidise?
          Is this a yeast that needs a lot of nutrient and good heat? (I've never used it before) and would the recomendation be to leave it till it eventually gets to 1010 to rack, as it is still feremnting even if it is slow, or should I do it now to save any chance of oxidisation?

Appreciate any advice.

Comment

It wont oxidise whilst it is fermenting....the CO2 will protect it....

let it run to 1.010 (or close)

relax, dont worry, start another wine and let this one do its thing
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Cheers for that!

As it happens I need to start another batch of No1.
              Just waiting for the bucket to come available to clear the freezer of the last of the elderberry's from last year...going for Goldseald elderberry port...another high alcohol number....whish me luck!
              Last edited by piagio2000; 24-03-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X