Brown Demijohns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Demijohns

I picked up 4 Brown DJ at a Car Boot, never used these before... any tips?

I understand they stopped producing these about 12 years ago!

Assume they are filthy.
    Wash them with soapy water.
    Then put a table spoon full of truck wash (caustic) in them.
    Swill round, bottle brush as necessary.
    Water rinse x3.

Done.

Store with lids ON with either a splash of vodka or some sulphite solution in to keep them ready for action.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

+1 for cleaning them well.

Great for storage/bulk ageing of clear wine. Rubbish for seeing what's going on inside.

Comment

Moved this here, as it was out of place in the "read this first" section

I totally agree on the make certain they are clean front.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I stick a REALLY bright torch in the neck
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Am I right in saying these are better for the storage of red wines (and 1 gallon beer batches, for a different reason) as light can bleach the colour out of darker wines? I always cover my red wines with paper or something to keep the light off them. I wonder why they stopped making brown demijohns?
            "You can't stop here, this is Bat Country!"

Comment

I picked up 3 more by accident than design - use them for red wines, after 4 months and a couple of rackings, so that there is v little chance of sediment from thereon in - they are a bgr to see thru but should do the light protection thing. Now what we need is a a brown dj but with the bottom inch clear glass ........

Comment

Nice idea. I have found the red handled pump action wire brush v good in dj's too.

Comment

I have three, but I dont use them, I am paranoid about not being able to tell if they are clean or not, and my DJ's are stored where no sunlight reaches them, so I dont need them.

Free to good home (collection only obviously)
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    I have three, but I dont use them, I am paranoid about not being able to tell if they are clean or not, and my DJ's are stored where no sunlight reaches them, so I dont need them.

Free to good home (collection only obviously)
                    I've also got a couple of those, but to check if they're clean I hang a narrow LED light inside to confirm cleanliness, and once happy, then give them a final rinse with sulphite solution before use.

If they're in use and I'm making something that might be light sensitive, I just wrap a clear glass DJ in baking foil. Seems to work a treat.....

regards

jtfb
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                    X