Wine No1 addition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine No1 addition question

I'm making a "rose'" wine no1 (1l apple, 1l red grape) and wondered if i could add anything to boost the flavour a touch?

I was thinking of raspberries, strawberries cherries or peach or a variation of that.

If so would i add the fruits just chopped up or pureed? and how much would i need to use? also when would be the best time to add them?

I'm only 24 hrs in with this wine so plenty time left.

Thanks!

Well, it depends on the fruit, as some have a greater effect than others. For rasps, I'd add about 1lb per gallon, just frozen and then defrosted.

Added when it gets to about 1.020

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Dont puree raspberries, you will end up with a seedy bitterness

I normally add late and around 250grams
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by 5thElement View Post
        If so would i add the fruits just chopped up or pureed?
        I'd freeze the fruit, de-frost and wring out in a piece of fine straining cloth or small straining bag so only pure juice goes into the must at that late stage
        My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

How much would you add though David? Would you go with Bobs 250g in 4.5l?

And what should one do about pectin? I hadn't thought about the freeze thaw method so had previously considered putting a bit of pectolase in my cold fruit (probably a tin of...) to make a syrup, then adding the strained syrup to the wine at the 1.010 mark...
          Last edited by Delmonteman; 03-05-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

So, what fruit would you guys recommend? and will it significantly alter the flavour? i noticed bags of frozen morello cherries in Asda tonight so im swaying towards them now..

Are tinned fruits an option?

Will it greatly affect the clearing time?

Cheers
            Last edited by 5thElement; 03-05-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Now spotted frozen summer berries which consists of

Strawberries (30%) , Blackberries (20%) , Redcurrants (20%) , Blackcurrants (10%) , Blueberries (10%) , Raspberries (10%)

Comment

One of my mates made a wine #2 out of one of these summer fruits wines. It was very tasty indeed.
                Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                -Police Squad

Comment

I add the fruit whole..

allowing the alcohol now present in the wine to extract the flavour and aroma compounds, works a treat, and makes it easier to rack afterwards

I use 250g if using raspberries (they are powerful flavour and taste enhancers, and spoil a wine if too much is used) I add more with other fruit (normally dont go over 500g though)

Freezing and thawing as per Davids suggestion would work fine too, but i would never crush, boil (or use hot water) or puree seedy fruit.

Adding canned fruit would also work (add pectolase too) and it would extend the clearing time, but not by much

Thing to remember is......adding solids to the wine will extend the time required to age before being at its best.

works for me

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                  X