An Ex-Hydrometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ex-Hydrometer

Had a lovely hydrometer from when I tried making the odd brew 35 yrs ago - glass, with painted black and white details down the tube - I was having problems with a Quince wine, had to referment, so thought I would leave the hydrometer in the dj so I could see at a glance how much, if any, progression being made - with no improvement in the past month, and the hydrometer having been in the dj for probably 2 months, I decided to rack off, carefully fishing out the hydrometer first - I noticed a black patch around the 000 mark, and feared some contamination on the margin of the must, so took it to the sink to wash - just using warm water, I was somewhat alarmed as all the black and white paint started smearing and washing off!!

Now its dried, the few numbers etc left on are as hard as ever, but I guess something in the wine (presumably the alcohol?) didn't agree with the paint and softened it - didn't seem to be enough to taint the wine, but then Quince is pretty overpowering in flavour etc so hard to tell! Always thought I would lose my hydrometers from a fall to the floor, never from leaving it in the wine! Now who keeps saying hydrometers are my best friend? Anyone else had similar?

Originally posted by TStarr View Post
    Now who keeps saying hydrometers are my best friend?
    You wouldn't abandon your best friend in liquid up to their neck now would you?

Although if it was in alcohol they might not mind so much
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mine always hit the floor although one did combust (the bottom shattered) as it was entering 6 gallons of christmas pudding wine must which I subsequently binned

Comment

Working...
      X