Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Fermentation Additions

Hi
    I'm thinking about having a go at some late fermentation additions as per Lockwood's "Recipe and Method Formulation" thread. I have both a wine#1 and a wine#2 on the go at the moment. Any suggestions for things I could add to them? Will frozen raspberries, strawberries etc. work or should I stick to fresh? Also, can anyone give me a rough guide on when the SG is likely to reach 1.010? Half way through, 3/4 of the way through?
    Thanks!
    J.

The only thing that will give a reliable guide how the ferment is going, is your hydrometer.

As for the fruit additions, frozen is fine, though some like to use a net to keep the fruit together, as it can go very mushy and a PITA to remove later.

Late additions usually give a greater fruit depth to the flavour. Though its worth remembering that some fruit, like raspberries, can be very over powering, so I'd say mix it with at least 2 types.

Others might be better placed to suggest how much to use.....

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks jftb.
      I think I'll try a few frozen raspberries in the wine #2. What about grapefruit peel in the wine #1? Would that give a hint of grapefruit flavour to the wine? Just wondering cause I love a sauvignon blanc with a hint grapefruit .

Comment

Originally posted by jayv View Post
        What about grapefruit peel in the wine #1?

Add a little of the zest (no white pith or you will end up with bitterness)

you only need to add a few shreds of pith, for about 3 days. Will give it a zesty zing on the nose.

As to late fruit additions, I have experimented with lots of things, ~I find raspberries work well, but I add them to wine No1 after ferment is over, adding them whole and for about 3 to 4 days, the alcohol will extract flavour and colour. Makes a nice blush wine.

About 100g per gallon, or all you will taste is raspberry

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Bob! Looking forward to trying both. Would you add the grapefruit zest at 1.010 or after fermentation?

Comment

Normally I add the zest after ferment
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Great, thanks! I don't have a net for my frozen raspberries. Would a clean pair of nylon tights do the job?

Comment

If I'm adding them post ferment, I just dump them in, they will stay whole, and so it isn't a problem racking.

but tights would work yes

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I always think dirty nylon tights are better - ooops wrong forum.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by cellar_rat View Post
                      i always think dirty nylon tights are better - ooops wrong forum.

lmao

Comment

Working...
                      X