Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fruit press reccomendations?

Hello All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a small press for grapes, apples, soft fruit etc and would appreciatre some advice.

I think I will be using it mainly for grapes and possibly rasp/blackberries. I would probably be pressing no more than 2 5 gal fermenters full of fruit at a time so would like advice on type and size of press appropriate to this sort of scale of use.

Seen this

on ebay and wondered on suitability of the type and size. Looks a bit of a pig to clean though.

Also, for grapes do I need to think about a crusher or can I use my feet?

thanks in advance

Mark

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Hi Mark

How many grapes are you planning to process?

you can indeed crush them by foot, or indeed by hand, all that needs to happen is the skins need to be popped (the yeasties will take care of the rest) if you are attending grapoefest, the grapes will be crushed for you

I have the 11 litre version of that press, its ok for say 5 gal batches, but any more and its a bit of a pain.

that looks like the 6 litre version? would be ok but for 5 gal batch you may need to load it and press more than once, but it will do the job (all presses are a a pain to clean)

for blackberries etc I find a steam juicer the best option, they were on sale a little while ago (I think at lakeland)

hmmm had a looka round lakeland and couldnt fin it on their site

this is the one

but that price is too high!

will try to find one

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

here you go

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

knew if i kept looking i woul find the one i wanted
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Westfalia web site, under "household" £49.99

Iv'e had one for a couple of years, works well.

Comment

Bob !! Type a bit slower and give us one finger guys a chance.

Comment

Might be worth building. I have some plans if you want.
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Further this type of press is very good for grapes, I had it's big brother for many years, until I upgraded.

Best cleaned with hose pipe. No more than that is req'd. Untreated wood needs varnishing or oiling.
                Attached Files
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob. I already have a steam juicer but thanks for showing me where I could have bought one cheaper

Last year I had about 3 5 gal fermenters full of grapes (all white unfortunately). I steam juiced the lot which was a pain and probably not ideal. Although I got a gold for the riesling style wine at the VWC this year so there may be something to look at for further experimentation.

As you say, I think I will stick to steam juicing the soft fruit. If the 6l size is OK for say 5 gals of juice I'll put a bid in.

thanks again.

Mark

ps Cellar rat, I'd like a look at the plans if possible. Though my joinery skills are more enthusiastic amateur than skilled cabinet maker (measure once...cut twice... bugger it).

Comment

re grapefest. I'd love to but it's a bit far from canterbury. Any idea were I can get hold of some merlot / other red variety without importing them myself?

cheers

Mark

Comment

PM Brian (Cellar_Rat)
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Post Mortem!!?? It's been a while but I shall sharpen me tools.

Aahhhh you mean thingy messenger. Will do

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                          re grapefest. I'd love to but it's a bit far from canterbury.
                          It's even further from Aberdeen.. But, it's a fun weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            It's even further from Aberdeen.. But, it's a fun weekend.
                            Seconded!! (Although i only have to come from Bedfordshire, which isn't too bad!!)
                            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Working...
                            X