Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My man cave

Good days gents,

Just wanted to give you a tour of my newly inhabited cellar. Been in the house for about 2 1/2 months now. Still got tons to do and I plan some large cube wine racks in the cellar and some more racks.

When we first moved in the cellar had a large fan pulling air through it which was fine apart from humidity altered rapidly with the outside weather. I've since fitted a dehumidifier which keeps the cellar at 50% constant. The temps are around 63-67 f which I'm happy with. It means I can store wine and ferment without cluttering the kitchen up.

I plan to make it look a lot nicer and make a wooden surround for the dehumidifier. I've also fitted a condensate pump which pumps the waste water from the dehumidifier to the outside drain (saves having to empty the tank).

Entrance

Ye olde steps

Well trodden!

Last edited by billybuntus; 19-06-2011, 11:16 AM.

Behind this timber clad frame is a blocked up doorway, a nice stone arch surrounds the door. I have it on good authority that the cellar was twice its current size and the rest is hiding through the blocked up doorway! It leads under our garden! Can't wait to open it up one day.... Although as you can well imagine SWMBO has a number of other quite involved household jobs before I get the go ahead to start knocking walls down :-(

Just bottled my first beer today, an EDME wheat beer, tastes quite 'thin' looking forward to starting a better kit soon.
    Last edited by billybuntus; 19-06-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Awesome cellar, I'm jealous!
      Feel the Zin

Comment

Just off to get my shovel - do you need planning permission for a cellar?

Comment

Originally posted by TStarr View Post
          Just off to get my shovel - do you need planning permission for a cellar?
          Not sure but a structural engineer would be wise. Just keep filling your wheelie bin with soil ;-)

Comment

Living is the fens I would not need planning permission !!

I would need driving apparatus! The water table is about 2 foot below the surface.

Yeah Alright I am jealous too.

Awesome!!
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              Yeah Alright I am jealous too.

Awesome!!
              Just be safe in the knowledge that for the privilege of living in my current house I've doubled my council tax (and I've only moved two doors down!!).

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                Just be safe in the knowledge that for the privilege of living in my current house I've doubled my council tax (and I've only moved two doors down!!).

...what was than two floors down did you say!!

Can you here that ?
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Looking good
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                  X