Barrel wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    Does anone have, or know where I can buy a 25 or 50 litre oak barrel. Preferably used for brandy.
    Back in Canada I use hungarian barrels . bought through Vadai or Barrel imports.

you might try contacting a hungarian producer directly .

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

1/3 of the price of french oak but not 1/3 of the quality
    Last edited by bzac; 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM.
    Zac Brown
    Wayward Canuck
    Wandering Wino

Comment

Originally posted by bzac View Post
      Back in Canada I use hungarian barrels . bought through Vadai or Barrel imports.

you might try contacting a hungarian producer directly .

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

1/3 of the price of french oak but not 1/3 of the quality
      I seem to recall that the Hungarian one were considered the best before the "Iron Curtain" fell.......

Something about the grain of wood being more consistent etc etc. So I'd presume that they're still good......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Hi

Have you tried a large Royal Naval surpus store. They used to have a massive one in Plymouth by Devonport dockyard when I was a kid. Everything was in there including old Rum, Port, Wine, barrells.
        Malc

Comment

There's a cooperage up here where you could probably get one. They're pretty amiable by all accounts too. Think it's called Speyside Cooperage.
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
            There's a cooperage up here where you could probably get one. They're pretty amiable by all accounts too. Think it's called Speyside Cooperage.

Got it http://www.speysidecooperage.co.uk/ - will give em a call. Thanks
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

If you have a look on the site that Coastie posted they have 2x 55ltrs and 1 x 40 lt:

55l

55l

40l
              The lowest price, highest value whole oak whisky barrels in the UK. From genuine Scottish distilleries. Perfect for planters, tables, furniture & more

The 40l is an ex-whisky
              Last edited by Canonmillbilly; 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
              Steven

Devon

Comment

I'm not sure I would want my wine tained with a whisky flavour...... which (I'm thinking) the barrel would surely contain?

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well, he wanted one that had been used for brandy, the whisky one is the closest I seen... ;O)
                  Steven

Devon

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
                      Well, he wanted one that had been used for brandy, the whisky one is the closest I seen... ;O)
                      I like your thinking.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Try popping into Ottery St Mary tomorrow morning

They should have a few barrels going...

Likely they'll impart quite a distinct flavour profile, however...

Steven

Devon

Comment

Nice one - mulled wine then!

Comment

Don't know if these are of any interest to anyone, but just spotted these on ebay.

I've absolutely no experience with wood barrels so no idea if the price is reasonable - or even if they are suitable for use!
                            Cheers,
                            Kev

Comment

Forgot to mention that they also do a 10 ltr version

Comment

I've asked the seller what species of oak it is made from.
                                Steven

Devon

Comment

Working...
                                X