Barrel wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    I have thought along these lines with bbq briquettes.
    I think you might have to break them up a bit. The standard size of a bunghole is only 50 mm. I'd also be concerned about the toasting not being even, i.e. too much blackening in some spots, while none in others.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
      Simon, I don't know where in Hampshire you live, but it looks like there is a cooper about an hour away in Devizes, Wiltshire. Perhaps you could enlist his assistance...
      England's last remaining master cooper Alastair Simms has predicted that the nation's barrel-making trade will go to the grave with him.

Just a thought.
      Nice article. It makes me sad that we (Brits) are so bad at supporting these ancient trades. I think I may contact him to try and work out whether there are options i.e. could I procure a barrel or two. He works for a brewery company though. We'll see. Thanks Steve.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

OK I have just spoken to Mr Alastair Simms, of Wadworth brewery from the article. He is a really nice bloke (from Yorkshire) as it happens. He is a proper cooper and has said he will make up 5 gallon wine barrels, toasted to your choice for £120+VAT or £144. Now this may appear a little more expensive but they are French oak and he reclaims wine barrels from Burgundy which he then strips down and makes up to required size. He can use Ameican Oak upon request / dependent upon availability. For me this is green (recycled), made in England, supporting an historic craft and owning something pretty special of known provenance.
        He can do larger sizes of cask too, 5 gallons just suits me.
        Delivery time would be 2-4 weeks which depends on his workload.
        Anyone else interested in placing an order? Website is http://www.barrelsrus.co.uk/ - he would be delighted to hear from you.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I think that sounds fantastic, Simon. And I agree completely with your reasoning as well. Always good to support a local artisan and, with Mr. Simms being a master cooper, I'm sure you will end up with a quality barrel. £144 might sound like a lot, but that's a competitive price for French oak.
          Steve

Comment

I agree, but I have to say my wallet prefers stainless steel with floaty lids.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I saw this http://www.wineworks.co.uk/product/25-litre-oak-barrel/ and thought of you...£144 for a hand crafted one seems like a real bargain in comparison
              Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

One has to ask where they gone 25 litres of whiskey from !
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Wineworks also offer a 10% discount to forum members

the guy who owns wineworks is also the main agent for stills in the uk

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Often been tempted by the air still to make fortifier for port and 10% off takes it down to £138. Why do we live in a country where I can legally make 2500 litres of ethanol every year to go in my car but the second a drop passes my lips I have committed an offence? Farcical. Local HBS even suggested telling any official that the still is for car ethanol, they cannot prove any different. Does not sit well with me though. Even if you get a licence the thought of parting with £25.52 for every litre of pure alcohol is even more uncomfortable. I make that around £7.14 for a 70cl bottle at 40%abv.

I'm off to wrestle with my conscience....
                    Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

I'm trying to get a shiny new barrel onto my Christmas list and, earlier in this thread, SiSandrine reported that Mr Simms will make new barrels to order. He reports that these are made from French oak reclaimed from wine barrels from Burgundy which are then toasted as required.
                      Does anyone have any idea how these recycled barrels would compare with barrels constructed from new timber? What I mean is, would all the oak tannins have been leeched out in their previous use?
                      I assume the rebuilding would involve planing down the old staves. Would this and the re-toast expose fresh wood to give flavour to the wine? Or should these barrels be considered inert and just used for the micro-oxidation/concentration thing?
                      MTIA
                      Cheers,
                      Dave.
                      If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                      But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

No danger with barrells this way. As he explained to me (and you suggested) he reclaims the wood by stripping the barrells completely, planing off back to the clean oak and then re-toasts them to which ever level you request. Have a look at the site, there is a video detailing his work. Or give him a call, I am sure that he would be happy to talk you through this. http://www.barrelsrus.co.uk/. Bear in mind this is for 25 litre barrels made from 225 litre originals. He may make up from brand new oak as well (but make sure French or American White).
                        I should just say too that I haven't ordered any yet as we planning a house move and bringing new stuff in is currently subject to sanctions.
                        Simon

Comment

any ideas on price

Comment

SiSandrine quoted him at £120+VAT or £144 for 5 gallon barrel. That was 12 months ago. And I don't know what the carriage would be.
                            Cheers,
                            Dave.
                            If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                            But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

I bought a re-coopered barrel about 4 years ago. They plane and re-cut the staves and then reassemble. In most cases it will be like a new cask. The only thing I would caution is to get a guarantee that it can be returned/replaced within a period of time if defective. The one I bought was not assembled well and leaked between a couple of the staves and around the head joint.
                              Steve

Comment

Steve, in your opinion do barrels make a difference? Have you ever split a wine and aged half in a barrel and half in glass and compared the result?

I understand that you get a level of micro oxygenation that you don't get with glass and due to evaporation you also get a concentration of the wine and it is a convenient method of oaking a wine but does that make a better wine?

Regards
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X