Wine scanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine scanning

While searching the web this morning for testing equipment I came across this - not quite what I expected.

Explore the world of wine with our comprehensive guide covering everything from the lush vineyards of famous regions to the intricate details of wine types and grape varieties. Dive into expert insights on wine tasting, pairing, and the art of winemaking. Whether you're a seasoned connoisseur or a curious novice, our site is your ultimate resource for all things wine.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Methinks one has been enyjoying wine slightly too much if something like that is required to remind you what you've been drinking...
    "You can't stop here, this is Bat Country!"

Comment

The barcode scanner on my Android already has similar functionality. I can scan in a barcode from any bottle of wine, and it will do a product search - including both nearby and online retailers with pricing. And it works with any product, not just wine.

While on the subject, here's an app I would like to see. I would like to be able to print out custom barcode labels for my own wine, so when I remove a bottle from the cellar to drink, I can scan the label with my phone and it will update the inventory (in a database on my PC) accordingly.

Of course it wouldn't have to be limited to wine, either.

Anyone know of a product like that?
      Steve

Comment

NorthernWiner - in my work I come across lost of companies with barcode inventory systems that use handheld scanners for monitoring equipment stock levels and sheduling maintence and testing, and its always fairly expensive. The college I used to be at tried to use the Android devices they had to replace the scanners but they were too slow and prone to misreading. Apparently the software wasn't too expensive but the labels were and the printers were always breaking, although they were in semi-constant use.

I suspect even if such a system would work for you it would cost you more to label the wine than make it!

On another note do you really have enough cellared to warrant such a system
        "You can't stop here, this is Bat Country!"

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovitch View Post
          On another note do you really have enough cellared to warrant such a system
          I have about 900 bottles on hand, and I haven't bottled anything from 2010 yet.

So yes. It's gotten to the point where I have trouble keeping track of what I have. I currently use a software programme called CellarTracker. But even with that, there isn't any way to monitor outgoing inventory, short of sitting down at the computer to do so. And who wants to do that when you're in the middle of trying to entertain houseguests?
          Steve

Comment

I have had this idea. I wonder if the QR codes are better for the job. Bar codes are licensed I seem to recall.

Search andriod market for qr create. A dymo label writer has software to print them cheaply and quickly - I have one these - very good. It prints barcodes too....
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
            X