Storage in 2L Coke bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage in 2L Coke bottles

As a newbie can I ask a question about coke bottles which I understand are made from PET.
    Can I store wine in these if they are well soaked & sterilized and can the caps be reused?

Originally posted by bigwings View Post
    As a newbie can I ask a question about coke bottles which I understand are made from PET.
    Can I store wine in these if they are well soaked & sterilized and can the caps be reused?
    Certainly, not the most sophisticated ways but when your starting out who cares :-)

Just be mindful of how much you would be drinking in one session. If making beer or cider, shouldn't be too much hard work drinking 2 litres in one go.
    Sediment can be an issue when pouring from 2 litre bottles but again its not like its fine wine or anything.

Wine on the other hand might cause a bit of a hangover although if consuming whites across two nights you should get away with it :-)

Also, the bottle tops don't always provide the best seal (most do) but occasionally you'll find you have flat cider or beer if priming in them (air being allowed past the bottle top).

Comment

PET bottles may be used for wine, but I would not use them for storage more than 6 months or so. Too much potential for air passing through the bottles.

Comment

Hi Bigwings, First off, welcome to the forum. I do hope you have found it useful so far!

Coke bottles can be used for storage, but as it has been said, maybe not for too long if you want your produce at it's finest! That said, if you have no other way, it'll be better than nothing.

I've stored beer in 2ltr pet bottles for ease of use, but never wine. If/when you store wine in them, I'd see about finishing it within a couple of days. You could assist in that by squeezing any excess air out and storing a squashed pet bottle.

We all start somewhere.. Getting hold of corked wine bottles does seems to be getting more of a challenge! I keep some screw tops now, for taking to social occasion s where I may not get the bottle back.. or giving away to people that may not return the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert View Post
          PET bottles may be used for wine, but I would not use them for storage more than 6 months or so. Too much potential for air passing through the bottles.
          Now my wife and friends wont leave it long.
          I have a 20 L polypin which I hope to keep the bulk of my Vintners Savignon Blanc in till Christmas when I hope its good enough for the festive season.
          The extra 3 litres will go into coke bottles for drinking at about 6 weeks on....ok 6 weeks to six weeks two days LOL
          Thanks for the advice.
          I have some plumb on the go (1Gallon) which I hope to store in a demijohn till Christmas.

Great to find the forum and thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X