Think of a name.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think of a name.......

Think of a name: If you can't call English Fizz 'Champagne' what can you call it?

Britagne?
    Merret?

.. and win!!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

"Pomm"agne - or has that been taken!! Maybe "Britt"agne.

Comment

Hmm, one thing the article didn't mention that is important is that while Champange is the region that the wines come from, the Champange label on the bottle also designates that wines as being produced according to the Champange AOC.

Is there a UK version the Appelation Controlee system for classification and quality control in wines?

For me, I would just label the wine as sparkling wine - which everyone understands.

If you call it Brittange (good name, by the way) then anyone (including me) can produce and market sparkling wine under this name, there could be some quality issues...
      Steven

Devon

Comment

I don't see the problem with simply calling it "Sparkling Wine." If everyone the world over used the same name (versus Champagne, Cava, Frizzante, Prosecco, etc.), it would be far less confusing for consumers.

Besides, when you think about it, "Sparkling Wine" really is an English term, isn't it?
        Steve

Comment

Come on Steve,

Surely you must agree that even Cava, Frizzante, Asti & Prosecco sound a smidge more exciting that "English Sparkling Wine"

Ask yourself this would you prefer a gift of a bottle of "Champagne" or a bottle "English Sparkling Wine"

Best BBC commentators voice "..as the queen looks on we see Jensen Button on the podium spraying the crowd with a magnum of "English Sparkling Wine" .."

What do you reckon ?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

True... but at least I would know what was being sprayed on the crowd. If the commentator said he was spraying "Merret" on the crowd, I might be inclined to think it were a brand of motor oil.

I hate to say it, but "Britagne" sounds a bit too... erm... French.

The Americans tried this with Bordeaux-style wines. They held a contest and came up with the term "Meritage." To this day, most consumers don't know what it means, and most American producers don't use it, instead labeling their product "Red Table Wine." Boring, yes, but descriptive.
            Last edited by NorthernWiner; 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              Come on Steve,

Surely you must agree that even Cava, Frizzante, Asti & Prosecco sound a smidge more exciting that "English Sparkling Wine"

What do you reckon ?

Yes, I agree entirely, they do sound a lot better.

BUT, Cava, Asti, Champagne and Prosecco all mean more than 'sparkling wine'.

With the name goes the place of origin, the grape varieties and the method of production...

...and, I don't think that in the UK we have a control on what would constitute a Brittagne...

...so, it's a nice name but not meaningful in the same way as the others.

Cava, Asti and Champagne are place names from which the wines got named (Prosecco a grape), then the wines became famous for being nice, and now we associate them all with sparkling wine.

For British sparkling wine to be known by a specific name maybe it takes a few years of high quality to establish that kind of link.

What grapes are these English Sparklers using? Maybe follow Prosecco and use a grape name...

---

Okay, 'English/British Sparkling Wine' is rubbish - how about Fizzante, or Fizzecco, or maybe Fizzazza

In Scotland we already have this anyway - it's called Irn Bru...

Steven

Devon

Comment

Irn Bru. LOL

Comment

Interesting.

This was something that has been talked about recently on the BBC - cant remember which programme - i think it had that welsh lass on at 7pm on BBC1 . . .

Anyway, i digress. I definately would go for Merret, just to stick it to the cheese eating surrender monkeys . . . It was our idea, after all . ..

It is the most quintessentially French drink, and the pride of a nation. But there could be consternation over the Channel after a claim that champagne was invented by an Englishman.

Interesting reporters surname as well from this "paper" . .
                  A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Well...

Recently English sparkling wines have been booting the French up the Derriere in competitions, English sparkling wine has a justifiably good reputation. The French are lining up to buy "terroir" in the south of England

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      Well...

Recently English sparkling wines have been booting the French up the Derriere in competitions, English sparkling wine has a justifiably good reputation. The French are lining up to buy "terroir" in the south of England

regards
                      Bob
                      Another bonus from global warming! Excellent!!
                      A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

There is a quality control on English Sparkling Wine. It can not be called English Sparkling Wine unless it meets certain standards and at the moment it can be made from any grape grown in England. Some people are trying to change this by givinging it a new name and restricting it to the classic champagne grapes. This is a bit strange to me because some of these English Sparkling Wines that are winning competitions are not solely from these classic grapes. Surely it is this that adds to the Englishness of our sparkling wines.

'English Sparkling Wine' it does what it says on the tin . . . or label in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by clayhill View Post
                          There is a quality control on English Sparkling Wine.
                          I stand corrected. Thanks for this info.

What other grapes are being used for the the ESW?
                          Steven

Devon

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            Well...

English sparkling wine has a justifiably good reputation.
                            And here I was going to suggest "Fink", an abbreviation of "Fizzy Plonk".

Comment

Originally posted by clayhill View Post
                              There is a quality control on English Sparkling Wine. It can not be called English Sparkling Wine unless it meets certain standards

I finally got around to doing some more reading on this...

Can't find any info about specific sparkling wine controls for English wines - the "Quality and Regional Wine Schemes" info was the best I could find:

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_from_the_United_Kingdom) suggested that there are PDO/PGI designations for English wines so I had a look at:

..which suggests that English sparklers fall within the usual remit of The Quality and Regional Wine Schemes.

However, it looks like there's no specific designation for sparkling wine made in England.

Also found this site but there's nothing here about quality control:

Steven

Devon

Comment

Working...
                              X