Fermenter tap ? Bacteria source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter tap ? Bacteria source

Just wondering if I draw samples from my fermenter via the tap for hydrometer testing, will the wine coating the outflow be a source of bacteria when I come to drain to secondary fermenter?

I guess so.

Perhaps spray the accessable area of the tap with a sulphite solution after hydrometer testing.

Could also throw away the first few millilitres that you draw off when racking as a further precaution.
    Steven

Devon

Comment

Well, I'd have thought, that while its fraught with possible danger (from a contaminant POV), sensible method/technique would prevent it being a problem. If you intend returning the sample to the brew then doubly important.

Me? I'd spray the tap, down the pipe section, with sulphite. Let it have 2 or 3 minutes contact time, then spray it again before taking the sample (in a sanitised sample tube). Then spray the tap with water, to rinse the pipe section of the tap, then spray it with sulphite again.

Which should do the job..... making it as safe as can be for testing so you can add the sample back to the ferment.

Don't forget, its recommended by those in the know, that you bin or drink the sample for maximum safety and contaminant prevention...... not add it back.
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Don't use the tap! Easy.

Sorry to be so blunt but why can't you take the sample through the top? Does the volume make that difficult?

Taps IMO are always trouble, in many ways - search 'taps' and you might find my earlier rantings on the subject.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Don't use the tap!
          Seconded. I have had a tap jump its threads. Luckily a) I only lost a couple of litres, and b) it was cheapo kit wine anyway.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I agree, dont use the tap for taking samples for testing, take the sample from the top. this way there is no chance of infection.

I wouldn't use the tap to transfer to DJ either, best to use a racking tube with a sediment tip.

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

As Brian has stated (just the once I think)

"taps are the work of Satan"
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
              X