Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

usage of red cap on air lock Is this a sily question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usage of red cap on air lock Is this a sily question?

Good Morning Peeps

Just a daft question really. The air lock, and red cap. Does anybody use this red cap? I presumed it was to prevent any bits or fruit flies and the kind plopping into the lock? But i have never used mine incase the build up of air will pop it somewhere i dont want it to land !!!

any comments on usage? should I be using it?

ta

Lisa

Your assumption is correct - it keeps nasties out. Don't worry,it won't pop off. It doesn't form an airtight seal - look inside and you'll see little ridges.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

SHould I deffinately use it then ?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, use it ....till you lose it of course (which you likely will)

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well, many people don't, but it gives your wine that extra little bit of protection. I use them.

They are easy to lose too, despite being bright red. A good substitute is a small ball of sanitised cotton wool.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I've had them pop off many a time and land in the nether regions of my work area. Seems to happen frequently when moving Better Bottles.

My local brew shop recently replaced all of their red cap varieties with a new type that has a clear screw-on cap. I have to say they are an improvement over the older type. No more misplaced caps.
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X