Bulk storage with dispensing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulk storage with dispensing...

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of storing in polypins or reusable wine boxes.
    I guess im talking about 20L polypins as I cant find 23 L ones.
    I want to make good wines probably Beaverdale and would guess it wont last more than 6 months but could in some cases go for a year.
    I like making it and drinking it but bottling......not my thing. Hope you guys dont burn heretics LOL
    Thanks for your advice.
    Mike

Originally posted by bigwings View Post
    Just wondering what the pros and cons are of storing in polypins or reusable wine boxes.
    I guess im talking about 20L polypins as I cant find 23 L ones.
    I want to make good wines probably Beaverdale and would guess it wont last more than 6 months but could in some cases go for a year.
    I like making it and drinking it but bottling......not my thing. Hope you guys dont burn heretics LOL
    Thanks for your advice.
    Mike
    Cellar Rat uses Cornelius Kegs. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to give you mroe details. They're made of stainless steel and are more commonly used in beer making
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

great question

great question

I was going to buy the re-usable wine box/bags I was also wondering if they keep the wine as good as bottles and also where to purchase them from
      Bottles do look good though dont they.

It so much more convenient to have wine on tap though shlurp!! Also please anyone with advice would be fantastic. Its so nice to be able to just have 1 glass of wine on a school night and not to have to finish the bottle ( perish the thought!! )

lisa
      Last edited by Lisa Cairno; 26-08-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Corny kegs are the way forward for wine and beer despense, but it get Expensive with barrels, gas and regs. But it lasts forever and REALLY works well.
        Think of cornies as a investment: They are not being made anymore, so they will only get rarer! Use mixed gas @ 5 PSI over wine. Vent mine a couple of times to expel o2. Have kept vino successfully for 6 months or more like this.

Brilliant.

Bag-in-a box work, I have some I take to parties. PITA really, expensive per each for what they are and they will fail after a few fills. Also v expensive if you don't get them back.

You can recycle purchased one's too. With a tap connector.

DO NOT store them with 10% sulphite is them !!! It strips away the silver lining and writes off the bag (due to the amount of 'bits' floating about.)

I will not buy anymore when these run out..
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

IMO Polypins would be hard work for wine.

Please don;t laugh when I say - the difficulty would be getting the wine out..

You can't [easily] rig them for mixed gas.
          You can't use CO2 - useless you like fizzy red that is
          Perhaps you could cover with CO2 and then vent, but that would need a very close eye on.,, and do it with every glass. To be fair is would be quite wasteful (read expensive)
          They do not hold any value, the other side of that coin is; they are pretty cheap secondhand.

1 corny £30
          1 reg (watch ebay) £10 -20
          1 gas (buy your local landlord a beer) £10 and they last forever my last was 24 months+
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

[QUOTE=Cellar_Rat;84856]IMO Polypins would be hard work for wine.

Thanks for that...but are we talking about the same Polypin. I have got one described as such from Brew2bottle. Its a 20 litre VERY heavy duty wine bag, a semi collapsible container in a cardboard box with a cap for storage and a tap (which replaces the cap) for dipensing.
            Dont know what the plastic is and before I invest in others I wondered if anyone had experience of these in terms of gas permiability etc...how long will the wine stay fresh?

Comment

[quote=bigwings;84857]
              Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              IMO Polypins would be hard work for wine.

Thanks for that...but are we talking about the same Polypin. I have got one described as such from Brew2bottle. Its a 20 litre VERY heavy duty wine bag, a semi collapsible container in a cardboard box with a cap for storage and a tap (which replaces the cap) for dipensing.
              Dont know what the plastic is and before I invest in others I wondered if anyone had experience of these in terms of gas permiability etc...how long will the wine stay fresh?
              I use these and have done for a couple of years, they are the bees knees and saves the labourious task of bottling. Provided the air is excluded I would suspect they are good for 12 months or more. When dispensing the bag simply implodes so no air gets back in. ( I think Brian is thinking of something else)
              Last edited by Duffbeer; 26-08-2011, 04:35 PM.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Does anybody have experience of using 15 litre manucubes for dispensing wine?
                My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  Does anybody have experience of using 15 litre manucubes for dispensing wine?
                  Not exactly that one, though have used a Hambleton bard bag in box system which I had no problems with.
                  Considering most quality wine kits come with the juice in this style of bag with 12 months expiry date, I can't see a problem with storing wine in them for 12 months or more. I could imagine commercial bag in box wines could well be in these long before they reach the smarket shelves.
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

[QUOTE=Duffbeer;84862]
                    Originally posted by bigwings View Post
                    I use these and have done for a couple of years, they are the bees knees and saves the labourious task of bottling. Provided the air is excluded I would suspect they are good for 12 months or more. When dispensing the bag simply implodes so no air gets back in. ( I think Brian is thinking of something else)

Wonderful.
                    NOW... I dont suppose Hobby Homebrew stocks them....if so I will have a couple.

Comment

Yes we do, but not on the website, send me a PM & we'll sort something.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

oops

Sorry for any confusion. I was thinking of pressure kegs. Sorry chaps

Comment

Working...
                        X