Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Beer

Hi all,

Just logged on and noticed I haven't visited here in over 5 years!!
    Not sure why, I have still been making wine.

Anyway, back when I was around 16 or 17 I made a version of ginger beer which I got the recipe from a TV program like "Food and Drink" or something.
    It was alcoholic ginger beer, and fermented along the lines of a wine recipe or beer kit i.e. in a bucket, fermented out then primed into bottles to get a final fizz.

So I have lost this recipe years ago, but tried to find something similar on the web.
    Almost all of them seem to be the ferment in the bottle type recipes, for 24 hours or so, which would give very low alcohol.
    The stuff I used to make was pretty strong - over 6% I think. And it was pretty fiery with ginger too.

So I have tried to adapt one of the recipes I've found:
    450g (1lb) Sugar
    4.5lt (8 pints) Water
    1 Lemon
    40g (1½oz) Root Ginger
    25g (1 oz) Cream of Tartar
    25g (1 oz) Brewers or Wine Yeast
    I have multiplied up to get 4 gallons, but should I multiply up the cream of tartar? I'm not really sure what it's for...
    The SG is now about 1034 which will be a little low in alcohol, so I'm going to add more sugar.

Will this be okay? The recipe calls for 24hrs of fermentation before bottling, but I plan on fermenting it out then priming each bottle with more sugar.
    Will this be okay?

Hoping someone can help!
    Thanks.

How did it go?

Originally posted by Dr. B View Post
    Hi all,

Just logged on and noticed I haven't visited here in over 5 years!!
    Not sure why, I have still been making wine.

Anyway, back when I was around 16 or 17 I made a version of ginger beer which I got the recipe from a TV program like "Food and Drink" or something.
    It was alcoholic ginger beer, and fermented along the lines of a wine recipe or beer kit i.e. in a bucket, fermented out then primed into bottles to get a final fizz.

So I have lost this recipe years ago, but tried to find something similar on the web.
    Almost all of them seem to be the ferment in the bottle type recipes, for 24 hours or so, which would give very low alcohol.
    The stuff I used to make was pretty strong - over 6% I think. And it was pretty fiery with ginger too.

So I have tried to adapt one of the recipes I've found:
    450g (1lb) Sugar
    4.5lt (8 pints) Water
    1 Lemon
    40g (1½oz) Root Ginger
    25g (1 oz) Cream of Tartar
    25g (1 oz) Brewers or Wine Yeast
    I have multiplied up to get 4 gallons, but should I multiply up the cream of tartar? I'm not really sure what it's for...
    The SG is now about 1034 which will be a little low in alcohol, so I'm going to add more sugar.

Will this be okay? The recipe calls for 24hrs of fermentation before bottling, but I plan on fermenting it out then priming each bottle with more sugar.
    Will this be okay?

Hoping someone can help!
    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X