Acid test questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid test questions...

Just bought a Ritchie's Acid Test Kit, the same type as Bob demonstrates in post #4 here: http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=886

Instead of the 5ml syringe they describe in the instructions, they have packed a 2.5ml syringe. I realise that this just means filling the thing with sodium hydroxide more often than with a bigger syringe, but:

- should I be annoyed and ask for the correct syringe?

- should I be be happy that with 1/10ml graduations I can now estimate to 1/10th ppt?

----

Otherwise, the instructions say to use distilled water - I guess I'll have to go and buy some, or, does boiled and cooled water suffice?

(I remember boiled and cooled water was an acceptable alternative to distilled back in the day when it was possible to maintain your own car battery rather than just chucking it and buying a new one).
    Steven

Devon

Originally posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
    Just bought a Ritchie's Acid Test Kit, the same type as Bob demonstrates in post #4 here: http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=886

Instead of the 5ml syringe they describe in the instructions, they have packed a 2.5ml syringe. I realise that this just means filling the thing with sodium hydroxide more often than with a bigger syringe, but:

- should I be annoyed and ask for the correct syringe?

- should I be be happy that with 1/10ml graduations I can now estimate to 1/10th ppt?

----

Otherwise, the instructions say to use distilled water - I guess I'll have to go and buy some, or, does boiled and cooled water suffice?

(I remember boiled and cooled water was an acceptable alternative to distilled back in the day when it was possible to maintain your own car battery rather than just chucking it and buying a new one).
    2.5mL syringe is okay. You'll need to fill it wice but like you say, more accuracy.

I'd really go for some distilled water. Boiling and cooling can remove some of the hardness but not all. It depends on where you live, but it can affect the results.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
      I'd really go for some distilled water
      Will do then - I think I saw some in the local hardware shop.

...the only distilled water I've ever bought before was called uisge beatha and it was quite expensive...

Steven

Devon

Comment

Working...
      X