sodium or potassium met?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sodium or potassium met?

Hi guys, which one do you use and why? is there any reall benefit of using one over the other?

Pot met is much better. Lower in salt (sodium). The commercial choice. Imporves your wine. Does give that hmm homebrew taste/smell
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

sodium metra is about 8-13% stronger
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Potassium Meta is also generally more expensive unless you can buy in massive quantities so generally for adding to wine in order to produce SO2 we use Potassium Meta. For sanitation, keeping fermenting vessels fresh, rinsing bottles many of us use Sodium Meta.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Does give that hmm homebrew taste/smell
          Is that a good thing??
          Steven

Devon

Comment

I think (hope) he means the opposite i.e (Pot Meta) Does not give that homebrew smell/feel. That said it would have to be an excellent palate indeed that picked up the difference at 50ppm. I thought it would be about 150-200ppm before most humans are able to detect So2 in wine.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
              I think (hope) he means the opposite

I though so too, but I'm new here and didn't want to call the man into question
              Steven

Devon

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                I thought it would be about 150-200ppm before most humans are able to detect So2 in wine.

that is the normal threshold yes

I am quite sensitive to it and get it at just under 100ppm

Brian has super sniffing powers!

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

(he was born next to a pile of Cryptonite)
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

That explains (quite a lot).
                    Simon

Comment

Does anybody know of any harmfull effects of ingesting too much Sodium meta? I'm not sure how I managed it, but one of my wines tasted quite distinctly of it, it tingled all the way down. I do only have one bottle left of the six, so perhaps its a little late to question it. Don't ask me how many ppm there were? It was quite noticable; perhaps it'll act like some sort of colonic irrigation, or colonic sanitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
                        Is that a good thing??
                        Having reread I can see the confusion. When I wrote " Does give that hmm homebrew taste/smell" I was referring to campden tablets (sodium met).
                        Which I can easily detect - perhaps they give a 'good dose'
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
                          Does anybody know of any harmfull effects of ingesting too much Sodium meta? I'm not sure how I managed it, but one of my wines tasted quite distinctly of it, it tingled all the way down. I do only have one bottle left of the six, so perhaps its a little late to question it. Don't ask me how many ppm there were? It was quite noticable; perhaps it'll act like some sort of colonic irrigation, or colonic sanitation.
                          hello - are you still there ?

The affects of sulphite allergy I guess would be similar - my mates wife suffers quite badly.
                          Sulphites can also cause a variety of different symptoms and it is little understood at the moment.
                          SO2 gas irritates of the airways (watch out asthmatics) other symptoms include rashes (including urticaria - nettlerash), itching skin, swelling of lips, eyes, mouth or throat (angioedema), burning mouth, abdominal pain, even diarrhoea (colonic irritaton ) (sorry sorry sorry)
                          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 23-09-2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

There is something I believe should be noted in this thread. That is Sulfite dissipates over time and though agitation. So if you bottle at about 50ppm which is common for kit wines in a couple of years you will be down to about 25ppm. Pour this back and forth a few times and let your wine sit for an hour and you will significantly drop in free SO2. That is not to say there is no SO2 present at that time but O2 will replace the SO2 that is moved off through the agitation there by opening your wine to better flavor and aroma displayed at the time of consumption. The aeraters that are available actually do a very good job of this. I have also seen where some one has made a wine and over stirred a kit wine at clearing time and oxidized the wine before it even gets into the bottle. I guess what I am getting at is do not allow the fear of sulfite stop you from protecting your wine with it. When used properly with the right serving techniques even some one how has a tolerance issue to it can consume the wine with out a problem.
                            Last edited by rjb222; 23-09-2011, 06:22 PM.
                            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
                            X