sources for oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sources for oak

Old oak barrels? Can they be taken apart and cut up?

Oak wood from trees?

With barrels, you have the risk of mold and mildew.

Wood from trees must be properly dried. You do not want tree sap in your wine.

You can use clean untreated oak lumber that has been kiln dried.

Why not just order the cubes, staves, and chips from your favorite winemaking supply store?
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

It's just sentimental. I've got barrel halves from home I haven't used for anything. I was thinking about it and remembered our oak tree I played in as a kid.

So far the cubes from George Cornelius's place are doing pretty good. The local shop only carries chips. I like the flavor of the french cubes a lot. I dry them and store them in a corked empty bottle.

Comment

White Oak is used for Adding to wine.
        At least most of the time --- their are others like muskit mesquit(sorry I can't spell it)

Darker Oak I have been told is more tannic
        (some things you can boil the tannin out, but You probaly would lose Flavor)

Oh you Might be able to order used barrels that were only used once from distilleries
        Around 50 years ago Us Congress past a law for bourbon to be aged in new Oak barrels
        So they have to ship it off to scotland Or where ever------No wonder I was told to contact distilleries.

Not what your aking about, but
        I I've seen 32 or 50 gallon Waxed used barrels for 10 dollers cant remember where on the web though(over sea's thats 20 sachets of yeast: >)
        Last edited by jlsherman55; 15-07-2006, 02:21 PM.
        http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Working...
        X