Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting from decent to good

I think I find myself at a crossroads!

I've been making wine for about three years now.
    Generally pick bramble and elders at this time of the year, then for the rest of the year stick to supermarket juice wine.

That's fine and the receipe's on here are great.

My first year making bramble and elder were actually quite sucessfull when I got round to drinking them.

At the moment though I have probably about a dozen gallons of various wines in the loft which should be ready for bottling.
    That lot comprises about five gallon bramble and elder from last year, couple of second run rose's some bramble on it's on..with a rose, some cherry and elder and that kind of thing.

I've been up a few times and tasted them, my quandry is just what to do with them to make them really nice..by that I mean that I could happily open them and give to a tguest and be confident they would like them...or even just know that I can open one myself on a saturday night and really enjoy the fruits of my labour.
    They taste ok...but some could do with sweetening, others seem a bit acidic(maybe) otyhers a bit thin etc. etc.
    It's the "fine tunning" I'm having trouble with.
    The result is i'm putting off bottling them all for fear of not getting it right.

I appreciate there is no substitute for experience but it's getting it in the first place..
    One problem i have is that even if I know I really like a shop bought wine...I couldn't describe WHY I like it or what specifically is good about it.

I've considered doing a wine appreciation course at college and wonder if anyone thinks that is a good idea?

I know this is a bit of a rambling post...but I'm thinking that if I can't get this right I might start losing my enthusiasm for the hobby.

Any tips/hints/support/boots in the bum would be appreciated!

The first step to real quality is getting the acidity right , and i like to do that before fermentation starts.
    Yeast selection i believe is also a key component.

regards
    bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-09-2011, 11:34 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

A wine appreciation course wont do any harm, but I think the best way to learn is by drinking your wine with and drinking the wines of another winemaker, wine circles are great in this regard.

you could also learn a bit about tasting wines by joining us for the VWC meetings at the end of each month

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        A wine appreciation course wont do any harm, but I think the best way to learn is by drinking your wine with and drinking the wines of another winemaker, wine circles are great in this regard.

you could also learn a bit about tasting wines by joining us for the VWC meetings at the end of each month

regards
        bob
        Good shput mate...I'll try to remember to make the next one...though if the truth be known....I'm a little shy!!

Comment

Originally posted by piagio2000 View Post
          ....I'm a little shy!!

not a problem.....you can observe and take part when and if you feel like it

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Acidity and Yeast - absolutely Perhaps sulphite too

I have a question though - are you comparing Country Wines with commercial Grape wines. I ask, because I like commercial reds so for that reason I make grape wine. Are you comparing like for like?
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I too have pondered this question although I've only been winemaking for 12 months. My target for the next year is to understand and get to grips with acid levels.

One of the best purchases I made recently was the book Award Winning Wines by Bill Smith. It has a more scientific style to winemaking with an unconventional method to fermentation and contains some great recipes. I have made a couple of the recipes but the wine is too young yet to pass comment on the results however they show promise.

I would suggest you just drink what you have made and try to get an understanding of what you like and why you like it and attempt to make small methodical improvements the next time.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                ..make small methodical improvements the next time...
                However painful that might be - I only ferment once a year so the temptation to make lots of changes is incredible.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I only make wine from grapes, but here are a few things I've learned along the way. Hopefully they apply to other types of wine as well:

• pH is much more important than you think, and can make all the difference between wines that age well and wines that won't.

• Keep all of your containers topped up and maintain proper levels of SO2. Don't underestimate the effect of oxygen on your wine.

• Bottle when your wine is ready. While that only sounds like common sense, I've tasted a lot of bad wine that was likely bad because it was either bottled before it was ready, or after it had started to decline.

• Take time out for an occasional reality check. Taste some commercial wines from time to time, and compare your wine to those. I know quite a number of people who only drink their own homemade wine and nothing else. While that's fine for the most part, if you're looking to raise the bar on your own wines, it's helpful to set the bar with a commercial wine you like. Only then do you know what you're aiming for.

That's all.
                  Steve

Comment

Just some constructive criticism, I know space must be tight but do you really have to store wine in the loft? I'm picturing massively fluctuating temperatures which are no good for any wine.

Comment

I am picturing your ceiling falling in!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                        • Bottle when your wine is ready. While that only sounds like common sense, I've tasted a lot of bad wine that was likely bad because it was either bottled before it was ready, or after it had started to decline.
                        Have I missed the point here Steve - how do you know when it ready for bottling ?

Comment

Clear and stable are the only criteria I use.

You would not believe how many hazy wines with sediment I see showing up at our club meetings. Or worse, they sound like Champagne when you open them, because they never completely finished fermenting.

On the flip side, I've also talked to people who waited too long to bottle. For example, four years of aging before bottling a white is probably not needed. Unless it's a barrel aged Chardonnay from Burgundy, the wine has already started going downhill and won't get any better.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                            Clear and stable
                            Thanks for clearing that up - I agree. I thought I was missing something there for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                              I too have pondered this question although I've only been winemaking for 12 months. My target for the next year is to understand and get to grips with acid levels.

One of the best purchases I made recently was the book Award Winning Wines by Bill Smith. It has a more scientific style to winemaking with an unconventional method to fermentation and contains some great recipes. I have made a couple of the recipes but the wine is too young yet to pass comment on the results however they show promise.

I would suggest you just drink what you have made and try to get an understanding of what you like and why you like it and attempt to make small methodical improvements the next time.

Rob
                              +1 on the Bill Smith book. I bought it about a month ago and have been steadily digesting its contents (its a good source of fibre).

Just about to set out utilising my crop of elderberrys for 3 of the red wine recipes in the book: Burgunday, Cianti and Claret styles. He does state however that patience is a virtue - i'm looking at leaving these wines alone for at least 12 months minimum.

I'd also add a twist on the "reality check" which i think is a good idea: dont be afraid of buying a reasonable quality kit wine to ferment alongside your country wines. They offer another "quick" alternative (minimum 6 months really) to home made slurping and will act as a good morale booster as your country wines age . . .

Start some white wine kits now (Beaverdale are good for the price: check out the reviews on this forum) and they will be ready for the spring / summer 2012!

Owl.
                              A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Working...
                              X