54L Oakery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54L Oakery

I have made an Oakery ( .. come on its better than calling it an Oakificator)

Partly 'cos I am too tight to buy a barrel and partly 'cos of the maintenance overhead of such.

It's a 54L carboy containing 12 (or so) hard toasted (charred) oak staves (1" x 1/2" x 16 inches) which I intend to keep in continual use.

I have today filled it with 2010 Merlot.

Any thoughts on how long should I leave it before testing?

Can anyone think of a better name ?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

My standard oak addition is 10g per gallon, and i test at 4 weeks, then every week after that, 8 weeks seems to give me the light oak touch I seek.

I know you know this, but for anyone who doesn't, less is best, you can always add more later, but once it's in....you cant get it out.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The Oakinator?

I have visions of you in a leather jacket saying "I'll be back" with an Austrian accent
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

or....

how about...

oakyfennoaky

couldn't resist....

...................i'll get my coat
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Go and sit in the car !!!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Go and sit in the car !!!
            Oakey-dokey!
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

I was wondering if it's the amount (g) of oak or the surface area accessible to the wine that is the important factor. In other words oak dust vs oak cubes vs oak staves I would think that as the toasting is on the outside the surface area to volume ratio may be a better measure of the potential to impart an oak character.

discuss!

regards

mark

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Oki Doki Nator

Hi Brian,

Is this the Oakinator that has just been hosting 'Special' White Wine No.1 for a few weeks?

If so, then surely a substantial amount of the flavours will have already been drawn out of the staves? Of course, what might come out of them is the highly complex mixture that will have infused into the staves as a consequence of 'living' with the SW1 for some time.

If you specifically want an 'oaked' aspect, would it not be more controllable and reproducible to use a quantity of fresh chips?

Derek

Comment

My thinking was if you can reuse barrels you must be able to reuse my okey-dokey-fennoaky. Only a couple of week to go and the answers will be in.

There is of course no reason why I can't add/replace the staves - as long as I put the fire service on standby!

Comment

Well well well. I am drinking the merlot that has been through the oakery.

Very different. Very pleased. In a little over three weeks.
                    Much more would be toooo much. In on the 10th out today. This needs a place under the stairs to be forgotten about till Xmas.

If anyone whats to know more shout up - not that there is more more to tell really.

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                      I was wondering if it's the amount (g) of oak or the surface area accessible to the wine that is the important factor.
                      Its the surface area thats the determining factor of how quickly the oak gives up its oakiness.

The quality of the oak makes a big difference too, and oak from different regions gives different flavours, i love the profile american white oak gives me.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                      X