Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeasts and Malo Lactic cultures

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to cultivate a yeast and keep it alive for months? So I can sove some money on yeasts.

Also can anyone tell me how to do this with Malo Lactic culture? as this is pricey

And if any one is interested I foud a brewshop online that sells small packets of it at £5.99 plus £3.50 postage

Malc
    Malc

Thing with keeping your yeast alive is that they can mutate over time. If you're not to bothered about the quality of your wine, but just saving a couple of quid a go then make a small starter and keep it in the fridge, decant half when you want to make a wine and top up with some sugary water and a pinch of acid. Make a bigger starter with the first bit you took off for your wine.

Have you tried giving Karl a ring (HobbyWine) for your MLF culture. I know it's not on his website, but he can get it if it's not there. If you're just ordering that I'm sure he'll post it cheaper than £3.50!

Comment

Bob has organised a load of really helpful stuff in the tutorial section. Clicky here http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=908 for a guide to yeast starters.
      Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

I have never do it with wine yeast but I have with certain beer yeast strains liquid cultures as they are quite pricey. These cultures are only good for about three brews then they go wild and the flavor profile changes. Wine yeast is cheap not worth the bother.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

+1 to what Rob said... (that was much easier)

Comment

Some wine yeasts can promote a natural MLF.

Comment

Working...
            X