Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for Xmas

Hey ,

Xmas is creeping up fast so I,m looking for some advice on would be good to start now that would be good enough by then .
    Was think of a raisin n rice ..... Any thoughts ?

Nikki
    Rice N Raisin
    0%
    Wine No 1
    0%
    Lychee
    0%
    Joes ancient orange spiced mead
    0%
    Wine No 2
    0%
    Other....please specify
    0%
    Parsnip
    0%

It depends on what your tastes are. Raisin and rice isn't to my taste, but a simple wine #1, with just grape juice and apple juice and fermented dry is great.

I make a plain and simple gallon batch every so often with some quality yeast. It makes a splendid dry white.

Comment

Doh, just read that you've put on a #1 and a #2. They'll be great by xmas!

If you've got some spare time, read through the Lychee wine thread.

Comment

Originally posted by N.K.

thoughts?

yup.....don't do it!

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Deffo more wine #1 and #2....
          Vary the ingredients to give a better choice ... pineapple instead of apple in a wine #1 is proper lush !!!
          I will be starting some pineapple off in the next few days, for xmas myself
          Another wine #1 variant I like, is the lychee... I tried it with the juice as oppoesed to the tinned fruit, and used red grape juice instead of the white. Very nice
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I'd vote for Lychee, if we are voting, which we aren't .

IT has a bit of bite, which would be great for cutting through the richly-flavoured foods which most of us indulge in over Christmas.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Perhaps now is the time to start a little parsnip number for the comps ?
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by N.K.

I made rice and raisin years ago, from a CJJ recipe. It months to ferment out, longer to clear and had become rather high in alcohol and oxidised in the process.

It was a great sherry style wine.

That one won't be ready for Christmas though!

How about a dessert style wine, to go all the Christmas puddings etc..?
                Steven

Devon

Comment

My vote (are we voting?) would go for Lychee too....or a joes ancient orange and spice mead....a very christmassy drink

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I added a poll....
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I don't see parsnip in that list, Bob.
                      Steve

Comment

lol.....added
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Wow .... what a responds .

Thanks for the input .

I started Wine No1 and No2 a few days ago they are bubbling nice both down to about 1.030 already .
                          I just started The Lychee wine tonite its sitting at 1.084 , I,ve got a starter bubbling away ready to be pinched in the morning .
                          Ive got a mango and orange melomel ready for secondary .

Tomorrow list of thing to do .

Stabilies a Selection Chilien Merlot and Beverdale Rioja .
                          Finish degassing a Con Cal Rioja , I didnt degass it properly before clearing , Doh .
                          Start a Beverdale Barolo and Shiraz

Will the above wine kits be okish by Xmas ?

Also I got some real good cheap honey in a local cheapy shop at 69p a 450g jar so I guess ill start Joes ancient orange spiced mead of .

Nearly forgot Wine No4 Ive got all the ingredients ... lol although I was only able to get Youngs dessert wine yeast or would it me better with gervin red label or varient D ?

Think I leave the parsnip , Cheers

Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by N.K. View Post
                            Wow .... what a responds .

Thanks for the input .

I started Wine No1 and No2 a few days ago they are bubbling nice both down to about 1.030 already .
                            I just started The Lychee wine tonite its sitting at 1.084 , I,ve got a starter bubbling away ready to be pinched in the morning .
                            Ive got a mango and orange melomel ready for secondary .

Tomorrow list of thing to do .

Stabilies a Selection Chilien Merlot and Beverdale Rioja .
                            Finish degassing a Con Cal Rioja , I didnt degass it properly before clearing , Doh .
                            Start a Beverdale Barolo and Shiraz

Will the above wine kits be okish by Xmas ?

Also I got some real good cheap honey in a local cheapy shop at 69p a 450g jar so I guess ill start Joes ancient orange spiced mead of .

Nearly forgot Wine No4 Ive got all the ingredients ... lol although I was only able to get Youngs dessert wine yeast or would it me better with gervin red label or varient D ?

Think I leave the parsnip , Cheers

Nikki
                            All of your kits will be okayish by xmas, but will greatly improve if you can leave them longer.

What size kits are they ?

If they are 6 bottles, I would put at least half away, to age...
                            If they are 30 bottles, I would put at least 2/3 away to age...
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              My vote (are we voting?) would go for Lychee too....or a joes ancient orange and spice mead....a very christmassy drink

regards
                              bob

Would this really be ready in time?
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                              X