19th Nov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Nov

I have a wine comp to enter (and win of course) on the 19th of November.

No probs till I say that it must be:

a: grape wine
    b: THIS YEARS

Both of my reds are still (prolly) doing MLF. Do you have any suggestions (hints/tips/cheats) how I can quickly get 1 bottle ready to go?
    I feel some suphite and a fridge (may be freezer) coming one.
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 24-10-2011, 09:22 AM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Are you talking white or red and do you have any juice to start from scratch?
    Malc

Comment

Mmmmmmmm or a microwave perhaps 'pasturise'
      Malc

Comment

If you can, let it finish MLF. But if it doesn't, just give it a dose of kmeta. That should stop it.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          If you can, let it finish MLF. But if it doesn't, just give it a dose of kmeta. That should stop it.
          Yeah - that were I was. It I get to mins I will do a MLF test in the next few days. After all its 1 bottle not the tank full. I want to get it in the bottle soonest to get over that shock tooo.

Mmmmmmmm or a microwave perhaps 'pasturise'
          - interesting thought. I might try that, to see the difference. Have you done this - does it taste cooked?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hi I havent done it but thought I saw it here somewhere. Try Google .... but would not want it to oxidise. doesnt yeast die just before boil point? 2 -3 gegrees below or even less. Google your yeast for the temp where it dies??

Also Lelemende do a 170 page free book on MLF on thier web site or if you like send me an email address and I will send it over it's too big for uploading here.
            Malc

Comment

Cellar Rat;

I think that one of the most important aspects of this is that you are going to be showing a very young wine. One of the biggest flaws in wine this young is included CO2.

Be very sure that you have removed all CO2 from this wine.

To stop MLF, you can put this single bottle into a pot of water on the stove (cooker) and bring the temperature up to about 135 degrees F. This will also help to remove the last vestiges of CO2.

Adding sulphite to 65 ppm will essentially guarantee that the MLF will stop.

This sounds almost as if you are entering a Beaujolais Neuveau type competition. Very few of these wines undergo MLF due to the time constraints. I would suggest that if you are entering in future years, you reserve this small portion for the competition before introducing your MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert View Post
                .. I would suggest that if you are entering in future years, you reserve this small portion for the competition before introducing your MLB.
                Hmm. Its important to me to win this one, but not that important

To get philosophical for a moment I don't make wine for comps I make 'my' wine and then people bully me into entering them in comps (you know who you are ) by sending me PET bottles and labels and stuff!

PS will 135F not make it alcohol free too?
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 24-10-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X