Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie airlock question

Hello,

I've recently begun on my first wine with four 1-gallon PET demijohns. Three of the airlocks seem to be bubbling away healthily. The fourth airlock however, is not bubbling, although the mixture in the demijohn itself is still fizzing away. Does this mean the carbon dioxide is escaping from a gap around the lid instead? Could this mean things could get in and spoil the wine? Is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks

It's unlikely anything will get in while it is actively fermenting.

Comment

How are the airlocks in the pet demijohns? with a grommet? or just a hole in the lid?

Comment

Cheers.

The airlocks are fitted with a grommet.

Comment

Hi

I use these plastic jars and a white lid with a red gromet. so if tahts waht you have I find you have to pull the gromet up thightly with your fingers to ensure there is a good seal.
          Malc

Comment

I have had airlocks which have come out of the plastic mould a little uncleanly and simply require the sides filing a little to get a good seal. Usually do this with a nail file.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

A good fiddle around with the grommet and airlock seemed to do the trick. I suppose I was just wiggling it about in the wrong way.

Thanks, all.

Comment

Working...
              X