No announcement yet.

Tweak or modification to red wine kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweak or modification to red wine kit?

What experience do you have with tweaking a red kit?

yeast, raisins, tannin, dried elderberry etc?

It really depends on which kit?

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      It really depends on which kit?

regards
      bob
      I have a Cantina kit- something for quaffing, quick to age. I also have a Selection kit but don't think those need any tweaks.

Comment

Mike,

Have a look through the kit making section. I found a lot of good info on tweaks in there.

Sometimes I use google to search the whole, site by putting http://www.winesathome.co.uk/ in the 'only search this domain' box - it means you can search for specific phrases and get quite a nice easy-to-quickly-see set of results.
        Steven

Devon

Comment

Originally posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
          Mike,

Have a look through the kit making section. I found a lot of good info on tweaks in there.

Sometimes I use google to search the whole, site by putting http://www.winesathome.co.uk/ in the 'only search this domain' box - it means you can search for specific phrases and get quite a nice easy-to-quickly-see set of results.
          Thanks for the advice. I've searched for tweak, modification, etc and read most of what came up. I havn't ventured past the general winemaking section. I'll check the kits section

Comment

You may find this info from my mate Jack kellers site useful

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I've noticed much improvement when I take things slow instead of the "5- 7" days on the box.

I've also noticed that budget wine kits have some sort of sugared added to the kit. Maybe this explains the price difference.

Nonetheless, for the red Cantina, I'll try dried elderberries and maybe a little glycerine if it is needed at the end.

Just a quick query regarding the elderberries. Do I just toss them into the fermenter at the beginning, middle, end? Or do I boil and make juice? Maybe while I'm bulk aging after stablization? I'm not too sure on how to use them to enhance a kit.

Comment

Good results? towards the end of fermentation when sg was 1.02ish, I boiled about 200g of the dried elderberries. Extracted the juice, threw the pulp away. Such a small amount goes a long way. The color improved and initial tastings has a berry/ fruity taste with some deep tanins. Beautiful ruby red color. I'm bulk aging, am curious to see what happens in 6 months.

Comment

A small 275ml tin of Youngs red wine enhancer (concentrate) works a treat with Cantina reds, Discard the yeast pack and use a quality red yeast and Tronozymol nutrient. The result will improve body/flavour, but will still be an early drinker. Done many times with great results.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
                    Good results? towards the end of fermentation when sg was 1.02ish, I boiled about 200g of the dried elderberries. Extracted the juice, threw the pulp away. Such a small amount goes a long way. The color improved and initial tastings has a berry/ fruity taste with some deep tanins. Beautiful ruby red color. I'm bulk aging, am curious to see what happens in 6 months.
                    Krakowmike,
                    Was the elderberry juice added to a 6 bottle or a 30 bottle kit?

Cheers,
                    Kev

Comment

Originally posted by blocky129 View Post
                      Krakowmike,
                      Was the elderberry juice added to a 6 bottle or a 30 bottle kit?

Cheers,
                      Kev
                      Hi Kev

I added the small amount to a 30 bottle (well 21L kit). On initial tasting, the elderberry juice really comes through. I'm curious how it will taste after a couple months aging. Will let you know-

Comment

Had a little taste- mmmmmm. The addition didn't add the body I expected but added tannins and a wonderful berry bouquet that really brightens up the experence. The color- a deep purple. I think a little more aging and it will be a very decent light bodied red. So little goes a long way- I'm actually quite impressed.

Comment

Had another taste- the tannins have softened up a little (as expected). I feel that this isn't as fruity as before but makes for a decent quaffer. Much better than a 3 for 10 deal for sure Despite the small amount of elderberry juice added, I think it changed the profile significantly. I think without adding the extra juice, the wine would taste a little flat.

Final thoughts- it wont turn a budget kit into an elixir of gods, but has the potential for a decent drink.

Comment

Next time, you may consider adding the elderberries at the start of fermentation. This will add some body due to the extraction of the other parts that were discarded after the boil.

Comment

Working...
                            X