Niagara mist tweak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niagara mist tweak?

I just found a great deal on Niagara Mist from one of the HBS that I normally buy from. Only problem is 7% alcohol is a little too low for me. Does anyone have experience added more sugar to these kits? Or will that mess up the balance?

Almost half off- I have to ask!

Personally, I don't like to up the alcohol content of these wines. They are great summer party wines as is over ice, or with a bit of club soda (not sure of UK name) added.

However lots of people make these kits with extra sugar in the primary. Taking the initial sg up to about 1.070 should give about 10%.

BTW, we love the Niagara Mist Pink Grapefruit Blush, and Sangria Zinfandel Blush. Have some Strawberry Lychee Traminer (think it was limited edition) in need of bottling. And the Green Apple Sauv Blanc is pretty good too.

Steve
    Last edited by cpfan; 22-11-2011, 02:01 PM.
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I've done a raspberry Merlot kit with and without extra sugar. With the added sugar it took a long while to smooth out and become a pleasant drink, You may get away with it for next summer, it'd be close..

Without any extra sugar it was drinkable straight away and was a very pleasant bbq/sunny day type gulping wine. The other advantage was you could drink a few before falling over.

Comment

I went with the Raspberry Dragonfruit White Shiraz and added sugar to the 10% level. It aged for 2 months and just bottled it the other day. Very smooth, yet very sweet. This will be a perfect early summer bbq wine- don't think it will last until than because the Mrs really likes this one!

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
          I went with the Raspberry Dragonfruit White Shiraz and added sugar to the 10% level. It aged for 2 months and just bottled it the other day. Very smooth, yet very sweet. This will be a perfect early summer bbq wine- don't think it will last until than because the Mrs really likes this one!
          Couple of weeks later, wine tastes great. The experiment with the added sugar to make it stronger made me laugh- as a kid, there was a tv commercial I remember selling deodorant. The catch phrase at the end was, "Strong enough for a man, but pH balanced for a woman," The extra 3% kit makes it tasty for me, but sweet enough for her lol

Comment

Working...
          X