Freezer Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer Fun

This is one of those things I wish I had too some photos of.....
    I had two freezers needing SERIOUS defrosting. We are talking polar ice caps!

The question is where to put the food! Yes? - well not any more!

I defrosted a big 10 foot chest freezer in 10 mins. In fact it took longer to remove the food.

I used a steamer, with the lance attachment and 'injected steam' into the ice caps. They flew off in seconds! Emptied ice out of the bottom of the freezer (3 buckets) dried it off with a bath towel. Turned it back on! Even the alarm light went out real quick. (But I did have to bury the bath towel so it will never be discovered)

The tip of the lance is metal so it gets VF hot, so it melts in really quick and the steam just blasts the ice off. Doing tiger stripes also works.

Excellent fun, really quick, with clouds of dry ice style fog tooo.

Did not bother packing the food in insulation the 2nd time. Not worth it.

PS rubber gloves and ear muffs are required too...
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

When I was younger (ahem) I was in charge of the fresh/frozen department of a well known supermarket/discount store (that happens to have gone bankrupt following a hostile takeover (I left long before that (I digress ))) and defrosting freezers was part of the day to day.

Standard was to let stock run down over day in chosen freezer, then chuck any left stock into neighbouring freezers and turn off for night.

In reality, it was not unusual to be seen at 6.30am bashing the ice with a hammer to remove it before hurrying to get it back online before the store opened

Wouldn't recommend this method as the sides of a freezer are easy to puncture and not covered by the contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
      the sides of a freezer are easy to puncture
      I had heard stories like this - a nieghbours wife put a screwdriver through the side and punctured the pipes. This is what got you thinking about using steam.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        This is what got you thinking about using steam.
        I agree - but I was young, foolish and disrespectful back then (and they weren't my freezers!!!!!)

(Just remembered using a shovel to scrape the ice from the side of a chest freezer - the same shovel used to collect rubbish from the carpark)
        Last edited by Big Dave; 14-12-2011, 10:28 AM. Reason: Irresponsible memories flooding back

Comment

shovel - yyyeeeuuk.

You'll be telling us next you use garden hose as syphon tube - ooops that was me!

It's so much fun I have been tempted to leaver the freezer lid open !

Comment

Working...
          X