Ruined corks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruined corks?

Ok, so i tried the cork-ador idea - 2 gall lidded bucket with a plastic container at the bottom with a perforated lid, containing sulphite solution - had 3 sealed bags (very lightweight plastic bags of dubious air tightness) of corks adjacent to the container, and an open bag towards the top of the bucket.

Used some of the corks a months or so ago, left rest in the sealed bucket. Just came to open the bucket, to check all is well, and sure enough the sulphite solution has spilt, and the lower 3 bags are moist and some of the corks inside have a shade of green. The top open bag appears dry and ok.

Can I take it that the bags with the green corks, even though some look ok, are best thrown out? Wish I had left the corks in a drier environment and just sterilised some prior to use.

IMO. I think the green corks need to be chucked. I would not use them.
    I always use dry corks. Store them in a bag with a pinch of pot met powder.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks CR - culled the 3 bags, assumed if any tainted there could be problems if even the gd looking ones used - tried the dry powder in the vented flask, and gobsmacked at level of SO2 when stuck nose in bucket - great tip.

Comment

Working...
      X