Rhubarb and Ginger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb and Ginger

OK - Ive done a little reading of various recipes and techniques for Rhubarb wine. So decided to make up this 1 gallon recipe.

1.25Kg Rhubarb (washed, sliced, frozen fro a week, Pressed to death to extract the juice)
    2 cubic inches of grated root ginger.
    1.25Kg Sugar dissolved into 2L white grape juice.
    1tsp each of Citric acid, Yeast Nutrient, wine tannin, and Pectolase
    topped up to 1Gallon
    Added a trial jar of fermenting Mango and another trial jar of fermenting Blueberry (from some batches already underway). The yeast in them is Lalvin EC-1118.

Measured the SG and (damn - it it's 1.120) If it doesn't start I'll dilute it to 1.090 AND TRY AGAIN.

I'll let you know how I get on

Starting gravity is way too high, even for EC1118. Maybe make something similar with a low starting gravity and blend them.

I always make the recipe without any sugar, test the gravity then add sugar as required to get to about 1.080

Please let us know of your progress

Comment

If you wanted a strong wine you could consider taking some out, dilute and then feed the original back in gently later in the ferment. This will increase the strength, and also the flavours.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The must did not start with the existing live yeast in it so I sprinkled on a bout half a sachet of EC-1118 granules and put it on a warm mat to bring the temperature up a bit. Looks like it is starting to froth a bit after 8 hours. I know this will be too high in alcohol if it ferments out, but I'm going to let it ferment and see what happens.

The rhubarb juice was very acidic and I hesitated to add any citric acid, but given it was in all of the recipes I looked at, I went along with it. Does any one have any thoughts on that?

cheers for the help!

Comment

Did you taste the must before it started?

i always like to have a slurp, and see how it tastes, i also like to test for acidity and see how my taste buds did.

If it ends up overly acidic, then sweetening a little will balance that out

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

If it doesn't start try starting the yeast before adding it.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Cheers bob. I tasted the rhubarb juice - I thought my cheeks were going to disappear down my throat - it was sooooooo sour and acidic.. after adding the wine and sugar and all, it tasted quite nice, not so sour, obviously sweet but Ill let you know after I rack it for the first time.

Comment

Working...
              X