Just a little query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little query

Does anybody know how much sugar is in the small cans of Youngs grape concentrate? It doesn't seem to say on the tin.

Well I'd have thought that unless it's an added ingredient, then it won't say. It might have a "total sugar content" type thing, but only if it's actually (legally) considered a food product. Don't forget that the world of booze making, is one of the few with very, very limited ingredient information i.e. the only thing that you will see as far as actual contents on a bottle of wine is the alcoholic content and "Contains sulphites" (if there's any in it).

Hence, perhaps it would be better to mix a can up, as per the instructions and then measure the mix with a hydrometer, or if you're using it to add sweetness/body to a finished batch, then add it too taste, but make sure that you have measured the brew before and after the addition......

After all, it's a concentrate isn't it. They probably don't release any info about the gravity before and after processing to concentrate form do they......

p.s. Oh and the word in the title, that means "question", is actually spelled query....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I think all concentrate are 65% - so by knowing the volume, you could work it out, but why you need to know?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

When I'm adding juice late I work out the total sugar, then the sugar per litre so I can get the SG for 3.7 litres, that will equate to 1080 when the extra juice is added.

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        p.s. Oh and the word in the title, that means "question", is actually spelled query....
        What makes you think I meant "question"?

Comment

Hopefully your tittle referred to the content of your post, which contains a question mark. Also posted in 'General winemaking' rather than 'General chit chat'. Back on topic please..

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
            When I'm adding juice late I work out the total sugar, then the sugar per litre so I can get the SG for 3.7 litres, that will equate to 1080 when the extra juice is added.?
            I see -good point. I would use a refractometer on the juice.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
            X