No announcement yet.

Why does everyone say it's rocket fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does everyone say it's rocket fuel?

I like making wine but I don't drink a lot generally so I give a lot of my wine number ones and twos away for people to try in an attempt to spread the gospel of homebrew...

I get a lot of feedback from people saying they thought they where very nice but very strong. I never go over the recommended amounts of sugar or 1.080 and despite me trying to tell people that it's not that strong they just don't believe me..! 'Well, I drink wine that's 12% and that was loads stronger than 12% blah blah blah...', 'Oh, it went straight to my head and it seemed really strong'.

My inner response is one of frustration at this myth surrounding homebrew but outwardly I just reassure that I know how strong it is because i made it!

Anyone else get this response from people they offer samples to?
    Is the myth of homebrew rocket fuel so culturally ingrained that they fool themselves into thinking it's stronger than it is!?
    Could the recipes be slightly out of balance for some palates?
    If so, how would I rebalance the recipe(s) slightly to reduce the supposed alchohol prominence?

Regards

Delmonteman

You're correct indeed, it is a myth from when Grandad used to brew, I get the same response even for wine kits, which I advise are only 11/12% like any commercial equivilent. However they are convinced homebrew is stronger for some reason,state of mind can do some strange things.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

How long are you ageing your WN1 and WN2 before others try it?

If it is very young (i.e. not long bottled) it can be a little rough around the edges, maybe giving the impression that it is stronger than it is.

Another theory is home-made = drinkable = gets drunk fast = fall over

I also think you and Karl are rigt - myth/expectation
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I think the flavour is a lot to do with it. Home made is often not as smoooooth - bit less gum arabic I presume, so 'rough around the edges' might be about right !!
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

You could make it at 8% they'd still say the same
          With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Maybe they are drinking it faster too, is it didn't cost them £5 or £10.

Comment

This is a common comment from people that have tasted poorly made home made products. It is what turns alot of people away from homebrewing. The poor quality is usually from poor cleaning and sanitizing prior to pitching yeast. There can be other causes as well though like yeast strain. Yeast strain happens when the yeast lacks something in the must or the temperture is not in the yeasts optimal range during ferment. Not waiting until the wine is mature or consuming while it is young is another reason .There are many reasons for the bad name home brew has. Using proper brewing techniques and keeping good notes is the best way to make good product.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Thanks guys, glad it's not just me then! The ageing thing is a useful comment worth keeping in mind. I tasted a Blueberry WN2 over Christmas that was 7 months old and it was very nice indeed.

The one I really didn't understand was a lad I know likes his wine and seems to know a thing or two (rather than just pretend he does) but it seemed to catch him out too. That one really confused me. I didn't think human senses were capable of determining alcoholic strength without a fairly big margin for error - or is that my myth!?

Comment

Time Mellows - all my first year attempts were 13%+, and after 9 months were pretty disgusting, with phrases like lighter fuel and nail varnish remover, coming to mind. Another 6 months on, and the heavier bodied Elderberries / Damsons etc are most acceptable, whilst the thinner apple & blackberry, pineapple etc are still more alcohol than flavour.

Comment

Is this a grape issue - I don't think i have had this with grape wine? Has anyone had this comment with grapefest wines?
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

If they taste it blind they will likely not have the same things to say.

it's because they know its homebrew they are saying wow its like rocket fuel, because that is everyones perception.

When I did the one show thing they served my wines up alongside commercial and most people preferred the home made.

I really wouldn't worry too much as long as you like it then alls good
                      regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

When I have given talks in the past I do a blind tasting at the end- typically of three reds. "The question I pose is which one is from Tesco's ?"

Due to my desire to become an honorary Yorkshireman, I do not buy one - all three a hand made. So the correct answer is "none of them are !"

A wine tasting is also a great adult party game if you have friends round.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                          I do not buy one - all three a hand made.
                          Brilliant

To add my two penneth - the friends that have sampled my first wines have all commented on the strength - as mentioned before, it must be more psychological - as in "Oh, your making home brew, that must be strong....."

Comment

One heck of a coincidence today ....

I gave our plumbers a couple of bottles of Grapefest 09 Merlot before Christmas.

They turned up today: 'the wine was great - really strong!'.

It took a while to convince them it was only 12%.
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I seem to be paying my plumbers in the wrong currency - perhaps you should PM me their details

Comment

Working...
                              X