Cream of tartar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cream of tartar?

I was told that the tartartic acid deposit in wine is (when dried) cream of tartar.

Super - racked it out, separated it , dried it, ground in the mortor and pestle - bottled it off.

But what the quack did I want it for?

I really don't have a clue. Can you add it back into wine - was that it?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

You can add it back into wine and as a result it will make excessive tartaric drop out of suspension during cold stabilisation
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      But what the quack did I want it for?
      Well... the next time you are baking a lemon meringue pie, you can add a pinch of it to the egg whites to help them hold their peaks.

Was that what you had in mind?
      Steve

Comment

I see him now.............

apron with ribbons tied badly................................

N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

That'll be on Fridays when I am know as Maureen! - my ginger cake is just amazing!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            That'll be on Fridays when I am know as Maureen! - my ginger cake is just amazing!
            Haha, I knew that would crop up at some time
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I'm messing about with an old trub. Funny what one does when there's nothing on TV. I started a ginger-beer, though I'm going to try fermenting to dry and then sweeten, though I imagine if this was a successful approach there would be a lot more evidence of people trying it, I'm using the trub from my turbo cider as the yeast (scooped some spoonfuls and dumped it in). The ginger-beer recipe had 15g of cream of tartar and I was just wondering what it was doing there. Is it an early form of yeast nutrient?
              Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
              Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Beats me (did you like the meringue joke?)

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                  The ginger-beer recipe had 15g of cream of tartar and I was just wondering what it was doing there. Is it an early form of yeast nutrient?
                  Nah. Probably it was to acidify it, as potassium bitartrate is a form of tartaric acid.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X