Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering Problems

I have made 4 gallons of plum dessert wine, but:-

I have cleared it with Isinglas Finings and the wine looks clear in the demi-john, but

It will not go through a filter, a third then it is blocked up,

So I tried putting it through two coffee filters in a funnel I had to change the filters three times to get a gallon through.

Then I tried the filter again and it looks as half a gallon went through, and it is blocked up again.

I have, as I always do, Stopped it, Cleared it with Isinglas Finings, Let It stand, Racked It, Put it through a two Coffee Filters inside each other in a funnel, Then The Filter [A Boots Filter]

But it will no work this time????

Old un

I can offer no advise here , just thoughts.
    If it looks clear and you are happy to drink it - why filter it? I don't filter anything.

Some may say these are the 'pleasure' of plum wine.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me Cellar Rat.

I have been making wine for 20 years and never had this before.

I have never made just plum in a wine, is it some thing that comes with plums.

I wanted to filter it because I wanted to put it in a competition

Thanks any way Old un

Comment

Coincidently I have just filtered a plum wine, four months old and it took a few rackings and two fining treatments to get clear. It filtered slowly, but it went through. That was my oldest wine to date, and most of it has gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
          That was my oldest wine to date, and most of it has gone now.
          OLDEST ? You need to make more
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            OLDEST ? You need to make more
            I am I am, I'm also drinking more, therein lies the problem. The OH and I have had to make a 'Not from the demi john rule'; although we do both have great biceps from quaffing.

Comment

Plums are surprisingly full of fibre, plus it does seem to be that they can be buggers to get clear. Luc Volders suggests in his blog, that you soak the fruit in a mixture of soda ash and water (soda ash is another name for washing soda a.k.a. sodium carbonate) for 24 hours. That, apparently, sorts out the natural waxy coating on the outside of the skins and also once that's done and rinsed off etc, they seem to benefit from pectolase and/or Rohapect enzyme, before fermentation, as that does help with colour and flavour extraction (and seems to help it to clear as plums can be problematic AFAIK). Plus it means that you only need to halve them and de-stone them first. It makes handling the fruit/must/sludgy debris much easier......

just my tuppence worth......
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
              X