Red grape juice recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red grape juice recipe?

Does anyone have a reliable red grape juice recipe? I've seen the 'Supermarket Juice Wine' recipe and will try that if not, but wondered if there was a good example to follow specifically for red grape juice.
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

I have tried the wine number two with just red grape juice and red grape concentrate. I can do no more than point this out as it is maturing nicely in the brewdio and have not really tasted it yet. Won't be long before I am bottling it though, I can give you an update then.

Comment

Wine number two is the most delicious thing I have tasted in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one batch of WN2 bottled - delicious immeadiately - and have started batch number two, and a WN2 with cherry.

Most of the "wines" I have tried have been supermarket juices (I'm still learning), and none have disappointed

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'll try W2 without sweetening it. I think I've used all the dark coloured berries in the freezer now (bullace, elder, black) so it will probably turn out a bit thin, but once I've done that as a control I'll know where I'm going.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
          Thanks for your help. I'll try W2 without sweetening it. I think I've used all the dark coloured berries in the freezer now (bullace, elder, black) so it will probably turn out a bit thin, but once I've done that as a control I'll know where I'm going.
          I think WN2 might be a tad acidic if you drink it dry so it might be worth fermenting it out without the addition of any further acid (i.e. omit the 1.5 tsp of acid to start with) but taste it when it's finished and add acid to taste before you bottle. That's the way I am playing it with a variant on WN2 which uses 4l juice (2 grape and 2 fruit).

Comment

I made a couple of wine no2 versions last Christmas and finally got around to opening one this Christmas. It was made with Blueberry juice and after 12 months ageing tastes fantastic. It is more of a Rose style than red and I fermented it to dry. It has quite a strong Blueberry fruity bouquet and taste but Unlike Delmonteman I felt it could do with a little more acid but then I do like dry acidic whites like New Zealand Sav Blanc. Well worth giving it a go.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
              I have one batch of WN2 bottled - delicious immeadiately - and have started batch number two, and a WN2 with cherry.
              Did you use actual cherries, if so what variety and how did you treat them? Or Was it a cherry juice, if they do such a thing? I have a wine number 2 made with three litres of red grape juice, then a large jar of morello cherries added late. They were already pitted so I just chopped them roughly.

Comment

I used a carton of cherry juice instead of the blueberry juice - Cherry Juice from Tesco (urgh - supermarket)

I also have a Black cherry "port" on the go - that featured cherry juice and a couple of tins of black cherries (mashed em up good with a spud masher and popped em in a muslin baggie)

I too have a couple of jars of morello cherries (Aldi purchase), which will no doubt be added to something soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                  I also have a Black cherry "port" on the go - that featured cherry juice and a couple of tins of black cherries (mashed em up good with a spud masher and popped em in a muslin baggie)
                  Sounds good big dave did you get that recipe from somewhere or make it up yourself...?

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                  Unlike Delmonteman I felt it could do with a little more acid...
                  Yes I may be being over cautious with it since i don't really know! Wouldn't do any harm leaving it out to start off with though...

Comment

I brazenly stole the recipe from Rich's Port recipe

I was looking for a nice deep cherry "port style" drink - I did not have any grape skins to hand, and added an extra carton of cherry juice.
                    Last edited by Big Dave; 30-01-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: Replaced link with correct one and hideous spelling

Comment

Mmm looks good - thanks for the link. I suppose no grape skins will make a bit of a difference but I'm gonna add it to the list anyway! I wonder if sultanas/ raisins will help instead...

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                        I suppose no grape skins will make a bit of a difference...
                        I wasn't trying to make a Port per se.... i love cherry flavour so wanted to make a nice, strong flavoured cherry wine. This recipe looked lovely (and cheeky sip at racking time tasted lovely). Hopefully have this one bottled this weekend, and put to bed for a few months.

Comment

Working...
                        X