Harris Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harris Filter

I've just filtered a Pinot Noir into a 5g carbouy prior to bottling, but it obviously splashes quite a bit which I would have thought would introduce excessive oxygen. Should be I be worried about this ? I intend to drink this fairly quickly, but I would like to filter most of my wines.

Alan

I have used my filter once before but I filtered into demijohns. I found that if I used the stem only part of a syphon tube inside the demijohn, from the bottom of the filter, the wine trickled gently down it

Comment

Never really been a problem since a little oxygen added at that stage is OK providing it is not excessive. Also has side benefit of that final bit of degassing.
      Never had or heard of any oxidation issues as a result.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Thanks for puting my mind at rest Simon, I still have little worries at every stage

Alan

Comment

I use one of these filters too,,,i've just rested it on the top of the DJ'S/carbouys and let it splash in. But saying that most times i do filter,,i'll either put a camden tablet or 5mls of 10% sod-met solution in to the empty DJ first to guard against the extra oxygen it gets.....be this right or wrong???
          Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

I'll add a camden tablet to the DJ I've put to the side at bottling.
            Thanks, Alan

Comment

Working...
            X