Youngs red grape concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngs red grape concentrate

I happened to be in wilkos some time ago and bought a can of the above. The instructions, if I remember correctly, said to mix with water add a little (can't remember how much) sugar and ferment. I followed them, discovered an SG of 1060 and adjusted to 1085 with more sugar. I started this in June, ferment completed last month.

Having tasted it, it's pretty flat, tasteless and not very red-winey. Anything I can do to improve it or am I better just using for top up? I know age can help but I don't see this one going anywhere.

Has it been fermenting since june or was that the last time you looked at it? Has it been racked?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I bought one of these to do a wine number 3 with so can't comment on the juice fermented alone... But I have since opened other cans/ bags of concentrate that have seemed much better. So, I don't think your wine is going to improve much... Be wary of using for top ups though as I understand it finishes at about 1.004 to 1.006. Check the FG first...

Save it for summer sangria!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
        Save it for summer sangria!!!
        I recieved a Youngs Cab Sav as a present (which incidently sparked my love for all things brewing). After adding sugar and water i waited with intrepidation for the most awe - inspiring, delicious, magnificant home made wine that I could save fortunes on shop bought wine.

In reality, it produced a fairly flat and thin table wine. I have four bottles of it left which I intend to leave (possibly forever, unless I need the space).

I did, however, buy a Youngs cherry juice concentrate, and added it to a cherry port style recipe which is thoroughly delicious.

Comment

It had been fermenting since June and finally finished a coule of weeks ago. I check my active ferments quite regularly. It hasn't been racked yet, neeed to find the time to get round to it. By the time 10, 11pm comes round I'm wanting to drink the products of my labour and muck about on the net instead of getting the syphon out!

I didn't know they did a cherry concentrate. Might have to see if I can track that one down, sounds lovely.

Hmmm sangria...now that is a VERY good idea!

Comment

"flat, tasteless " I might describe it as 'flabby' if this is the case I would venture it could be lacking acidity.

Get some tartaric acid, do a taste test. 1g max per litre.
            Last time I made up 3 500ml samples.

1 with .2 g added
            1 with .3 g added
            1 with .4 g added

Which equate to .4, .6 & .8 per litre

You might be pleasantly surprised - I was!
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
            X