Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine labels

Hi folks
    does anyone know the best way to get rid of glue on wine bottles? its the ones where you have to literally scrape the label even after a long soak in hot water and find there's still a residue left that refuses to come off

wd40 works for some of them, just don't get it in the bottle and rinse the outside well after.

Sticky stuff remover too, I think from Lakeland plastics?

Also, stanley knife blade with a slit cork as a handle. So that you can lay the whole sharp edge down on the bottle and scrap with it (carefully) whilst holding the cork.

Where in Cumbria are you? hoping to head that way in July.

Comment

wine bottles

Hi Rich
      thanks for the tips - i'll try the razor blade method
      i'm in the south of the county in Ulverston

I have another question - in the section for newbies, there is a picture with a demi-john with a strange lloking cap on it for de-gassing - do you know what this is? - how do you send people messages - afraid i'm not very 'up' on using forums
      thanks

Comment

No problems,

Is the cap you are refering to white, with a black circle with a red bit in the middle? They are a safety bung, normal use is to put into a topped up demijon for storage. It lets out any over pressure so the dj doesn't explode.

Like this one HERE

Comment

Its in the new beginners section white wine recipe

the link shows the gadget on a demi-john being used in conjuction with a vacuvin to de-gas - he also uses a "whiz stick" with an electric drill
          the razor and WD40 worked a treat!

Comment

First of all, find a reliable donor. My favorourite is an Italian restaurant on the newcastle quayside. In their case all white bottles are good, labels simply soak off, Red bottles more problematic. Roughly two thirds will yeild the label following being filled with very hot water. After two mins the label simply peels off. The other third was spawned by Satan. Your choices are, give up and send for recycling. Keep the bottle with label and pass off new contents with your own (can have a lot of fun with this method esp with poncy "wine expert" mates). Other option is to scrape (many many times) and clean up with wd40, sticky stuff or similar. If you know a BT Telephone engineer who works in the underground network then ask him/ her to keep you any spare dexbond wipes. Do NOT ask them what they use them for.... we do like to talk shop and it WILL bore the round thingies off you One wipe will do many bottles and clean your pinkies to a very high standard.

ps, anyone who really wants to know how a dexbond wipe is used professionally should either a, get a life, b get a life or c pm me. Be prepared to lose any round thingies you may have.......
            Last edited by Original Mac; 13-02-2012, 03:28 AM.
            Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

The Orange cap?

That, unfortunately is on a 5 gallon carbouy, with a vacuvin rubber then the vacuvin, doing the degassing. But, it's just a normal ish rubber carbouy cap with 2 holes.

Comment

The orange cap is used normally to vacuum rack larger 5 and 10 gallon carbouys using an Enolmatic.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Original Mac
                  Hi there - thanks for your tips - I have put out an add on our local Freecycle so will see if that yields anything
                  I 'sort' of know a telephone engineer so will make a point of asking him for some of the 'dexbond' wipes (but not what they are for as i'd loath to lose my round thingies - even though I dont have them.....yet..)
                  regards

Comment

mystery solved- can they be used on ordinary DJ's or presumably they are too big?
                    thanks cellar rat

Comment

Too big indeed, but a double bored cork does the same (thats all it is really) - its just one in one out.
                      If you suck the air out it pulls through the fluid thus racking. Nature abhors a vacuum and all that....
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                      X