Ascorbic Acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascorbic Acid

I see the Cranberry juice I've bought has got added vitamin C. The 1 litre I put in to a (4.5 Lit) recipe has, according to the box, 0.24g of ascorbic acid. Testing the whole must for pH it started at 3.6.

I think the fermentation is going slower than others, having come down from 1.095 to 1.020 I see the fruit is no longer making a floating mat and there's no characteristic hissing when I give it a stir (there was 2 days ago at 1.048). Does ascorbic acid inhibit fermentation? Is that much ascorbic acid likely to interfere with getting down to 0.995(ish) and if so is there something I can add to help it?
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Ascorbic acid should not hurt - in fact I seem to recall it helps.

Lets treat this as a stuck ferment...
    What temp is it?
    What temp was it before ?
    Any off smells?
    What yeast & nutrient did you use?

Lots of questions, sorry, but I think the answer might be in there somewhere.
    In the meantime a good rousing to get some air it is never a bad thing at this stage.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thank you Cellar Rat.

It has been at 21°C 2 days ago when it was fermenting strongly in the bucket, it is now 18°C. This afternoon, after straining through muslin and putting in a DJ, which process gave it a pretty thorough rousing, I added 700ml of grape juice to bring it up to the neck of the DJ (grape juice was 1.064). It continues to bubble, but sedately. The original must had 1 tsp of tronozymol and Vintners Harvest R56 yeast. No off smells.

That's good news about the vitamin C - I know that it's naturally in fruit but read that it was used as an anti-oxidant at the end of fermentation (in some cases) and thought this extra in the cranberry might have over-egged the pudding. Perhaps it's just a slower ferment to the couple I've done just recently.
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

The extra 700ml of grape juice may cause it to lag again. Is this a red or a white? If its red you could keep it a bit warmer too.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Wilco: it's a red, so I'll warm it up a bit and just get patience.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
          X