Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak in a supermarket juice wine

Hi All,

I have a sachet of oak left from one of the paklabs kits. I have never really used oak before but wondered if it will be any good added to a wine made from supermarket juice...?

Is there a fruit flavour that oak goes well with? Any suggestions on which juices to use...?

What does oak actually do to a wine...?

[QUOTE=Delmonteman;88819]Hi All,

I have a sachet of oak left from one of the paklabs kits.

I recently ordered a paklab Cabernet Sauvignon (not tried on before) via Amazon - there are no oak chips in the box - should there be? on the ingredients list it says "may contain oak" does this mean it is pot luck if you get them?
    could I use some small oak strips myself - if so how many - and from seasoned oak or can I use green oak- and at what stage
    sorry for all the questions, but I am a newb and hope you guys can give me some guidance

Comment

Pretty sure there should be two packs of oak in that kit.

First off, ring/email Amazon and complain! See what steps they take. You're not the first to report an incomplete paklab kit here.

Then, use some decent oak in it, it doesn't cost much from a proper homebrew shop. I'm sure Karl could send you some out cheaply. Give him a ring on 01977 599885 and mention the forum

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
        Hi All,

I have a sachet of oak left from one of the paklabs kits. I have never really used oak before but wondered if it will be any good added to a wine made from supermarket juice...?

Is there a fruit flavour that oak goes well with? Any suggestions on which juices to use...?

I've tried a wine number one (Super market grape and apple juice. Recipe on here) with oak from a Beaverdale kit. As we like oaked chardonnay I found this worked well and improved the complexity of the wine. It did take a month for the oak to come through after it was bottled.
        Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Hi Rich
          rang them this afternoon - they offered to send me out a new kit and sent me a link that provides a print out code for free return postage (for the old kit that is missing the oak chips)
          will see what the new box contains!
          thanks again for advice - but still would like to know if anyone has made their own oak chips as I have oak - and I have a lathe
          ps - just bought x5 1l cartons ASDA Smart price apple juice @ 0.56p each to have a go at the Turbo cider

Comment

Originally posted by woody1962 View Post
            but still would like to know if anyone has made their own oak chips as I have oak - and I have a lathe
            and 5 years or more to age/cure the oak? Plus what kind of oak is it? Has it been treated in any way?

Based on discussions at other forums, I do not think that making oak chips (or cubes or whatever) at home is a good idea.

Steve
            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by woody1962 View Post
              ...own oak chips as I have oak ...
              I make my own - and toast them - I use oak 'kindling'.

Search the forum for "OAK CHIP EXPLOSION" !!
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 14-03-2012, 08:32 AM.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
                I've tried a wine number one (Super market grape and apple juice. Recipe on here) with oak from a Beaverdale kit. As we like oaked chardonnay I found this worked well and improved the complexity of the wine. It did take a month for the oak to come through after it was bottled.
                Thanks for answering my actual thread question RTPFUN. I might give it a go then in a juice style wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                  I'm not a fan in white wines, but some peeps can't get enough of it!

what does it do?

see here for some extra info

Adding toasted oak chips to a wine is one of the most fascinating aspects of making wine. There are many different types of sensational changes that can occur in a wine's character with proper oaking of a wine. Its effects at times can be so dramatic as to seem mystical in nature.

hope that helps
                  regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Very interesting read Bob, thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      I make my own - and toast them - I use oak 'kindling'.

Search the forum for "OAK CHIP EXPLOSION" !!
                      Cheers mate - I did read the thread -
                      Perhaps I will try making some dry toasted pieces in the frying pan and also make split some more to continue air drying
                      any further reflections on your use of it?

Comment

What sort of oak are you guys adding?

A lump from an old kitchen table or welsh dresser will not give you the desired effect.

You need french, hungarian or minnessota oak, air dried for a number of years and then toasted to the level you require.

If toasting your own, wrap it in foil and place in the oven is the best way, not sure the frying pan will give you the right effect (could be wrong)

Oak used properly should bring everything together in the wine, if it is a slap in the head with wood, then it isnt really the right effect.
                        just my two pennerth

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          What sort of oak are you guys adding?

A lump from an old kitchen table or welsh dresser will not give you the desired effect.

You need french, hungarian or minnessota oak, air dried for a number of years and then toasted to the level you require.

If toasting your own, wrap it in foil and place in the oven is the best way, not sure the frying pan will give you the right effect (could be wrong)

Oak used properly should bring everything together in the wine, if it is a slap in the head with wood, then it isnt really the right effect.
                          just my two pennerth

regards
                          Bob
                          Hi Bob
                          re: update on the Paklab kits - I recieved another one from Amazon which like the first had no oak chips in - I rang them again and they are going to refund me AND let me keep the kit. I've started it and got some oak chips from karl which I put in as I racked into secondary. I've also invested in some 23ltr carbouys for long term storage. Thanks for the help - just tasted first sip of wine no.2 - VERY NICE.

Comment

I support wholeheartedly bobs post.

Make sure it is oak, softwood is carcinogenic ( the same rules apply for smoking fish).

You need to recreate the effects of the kiln, which I tried to do in an oven (read previously listed thread -if you haven't already) I would not recommend this. A clever man on this forum (Steve) mentioned a barbecue, excellent idea. I have to say I'm not sure about the frying pan :-)
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

how about the frying pan on a barbecue!

Comment

Working...
                              X