Beaverdale Barolo haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverdale Barolo haze

Opened a bottle of Beaverdale Barolo that is coming up to six months old and while it tastes great there is a slight haze to it. It was degassed and fined and I would have expected it be to crystal clear with a few months in the bottle? Can anyone suggest where I went wrong?

is there any sediment in thee bottle at all?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

No sediment. As I say, it tastes great but just no clarity.

Comment

You may be just about to drop out the wine diamonds . Wines will often show turbidity when this process is happening.
        There are other reasons but given your time line I would think this is the most likely.
        Last edited by rjb222; 19-03-2012, 07:45 PM.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I know this may sound daft but.....Was the wine clear as you bottled it?

did you follow the instructions omitting no detail, no matter how slight?

any changes to methodology or ingredients/adjuncts?

where has it been stored, and at what temp?

(just trying to establish some stuff first)
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 19-03-2012, 11:43 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Wine was clear when bottled. Didn't use kit finings but 2ml of Kwik Clear. As for storage, it's been kept in the attic room but thinking about it now, i'm wondering if the sunlight has affected it in some way. The wine is in green bottles but I guess it should have been kept in the dark. Maybe lesson learned there.

Comment

Dont think the sunlight will have caused the haze.......low temperature could have caused a chill haze

what is the temp in your attic room?

perhaps leave a bottle at room temp a few days and see if it has an effect.

how long was the ferment? how soon after ferment had finished was it bottled (again trying to establish stuff to help find a solution)
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-03-2012, 09:06 AM.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

This is not caused by the sun, that would have a bleaching effect it - turning a brilliant rose into a dull pink.

Bob's comment about temperature was my first thought.

When did you bottle this? I wondered if it was just a few days ago and you have disturbed something which hasn't yet had time to settle.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                  You may be just about to drop out the wine diamonds .
                  Sorry to gatecrash (just about to start a Beaverdale Barolo so watching with interest), but what are wine diamonds?

Comment

tartaric aicd crystals - nothing to worry about
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
                      Wine was clear when bottled. Didn't use kit finings but 2ml of Kwik Clear. As for storage, it's been kept in the attic room but thinking about it now, i'm wondering if the sunlight has affected it in some way. The wine is in green bottles but I guess it should have been kept in the dark. Maybe lesson learned there.
                      You did not use the claifying ingrediants so you likley have a haze caused by cooling the wine. My question would be why not use the clearing ingrediants supplied?
                      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Kit was started end of September in a 5l plastic fermenter. Kept in a darkened cupboard until it fermented out. Can't recall how long it took but I think it was around a month or so. Stabilised with supplied packet. Left in the cupboard for a while and then racked off. Degassed really well. I used Kwik Clear just because i'm used to it. Use a plastic syringe to measure both parts accurately. Cleared well and dropped a lot of sediment. I think it's been bottled for at least six weeks. The bottles were then stored in the attic which is heated and room temperature. Hope this helps.

Comment

Because you say the wine tasted fine, I'd rule out fermentation in the bottle (i.e. wine wasn't finished fully and continued to ferment after bottling). That would cause cloudiness but you'd also get fizziness on the tongue (if not corks popping everywhere) and it'd probably taste yeasty, or of dead yeast.

How soon after adding the finings did you bottle it?
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
                            Didn't use kit finings but 2ml of Kwik Clear.
                            What was your thinking behind this ? Was something happening in the wine at the time that led to this change?

Comment

I think I gave the kit finings to my brother who had recently started making his own wine and didn't have any. The Barolo definitely finished fermenting as I took a couple of readings and it finished around the .994 from what I remember. Definitely no adverse taste or fizz.

Comment

Working...
                              X