Priming Wine No 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming Wine No 1

If I prime a bottle of Wine No 1, maybe in a 1 litre PET bottle, and leave it for a fortnight in a warm place does it then need to be stored somewhere cold for a while to condition like beer? If so how long would it need to be in the garage? Thanks

Somewhere cool would allow it to settle and clear - as long as you like - min 2 weeks. I would think secondary fermentaion should only take a week. PET it an ideal choice, because you will be able to feel the pressure build up and know when its done.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks. How much sugar should I add to 1 litre? Would a teaspoon give enough fizz to make it like cava or prosecco?

Comment

Prime with 1 tsp sugar and put somewhere warm till secondary fermentation is complete. Cool temps will hamper ferment in bottle. I would out somewhere warm for 1 week and following that somewhere cool for approx 2 weeks

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Bottled and primed a litre but just realised I added sodium met before fining! This isn't going to ferment is it?

Comment

It might, but it will be slow......Sulphite doesn't kill yeast, merely stuns it
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

No problem. Schoolboy error. Will drink what I bottled in the PET and have another go with a gallon i've just degassed but not stabilised. I'm OK to fine before priming though yeah?

Comment

To my mind there seems little point in fining something that is about go through another fermentation.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I was thinking that by fining it before priming that the addition of just a teaspoon of sugar would be negligible and only create a tiny bit of sediment that would drop out quickly when stored in the cold. Rather than having to wait for the whole litre to clear?

Comment

don't mean to contradict Bob, however you will need 2 tspoons of sugar to the litre to create a decent fizz.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Karl is right, you get a better fizz with 2 teaspoons. Without experimentation I'm not sure, if priming before re-fermenting would make any difference.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with two teaspoons. Would you say fining before the second fermentation is a wasted exercise?

Comment

I think so

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                              don't mean to contradict Bob, however you will need 2 tspoons of sugar to the litre to create a decent fizz.

Yikes good spot

A litre bottle ....... didn't read the post properly

soz
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X