• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Wine

I have made a sweet potato wine it is now 16% and 0.99 SG

Is it too high 16% for a dry wine, or should I finish it as a Sweet Wine

What do you think?

You might find this thread useful and it may possibly have the answer you are looking for.http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...Wines-by-style

Personally I would have said that yes that it is too high for a dry wine. What does it taste like?

Rob

Comment

Thanks for your comment

What does it taste like? --- I don’t know it is still working.

I did not know whether to stop it and let it clear, and leave it as it is.

Or finish it as a social wine.

After reading your short cut I think I will have to finish it as a social

I can’t believe it is 16% with Wilko’s standard yeast.

Old un

Comment

Sorry I assumed the wine had finished fermenting and that it had finished at SG 0.990. Normally an SG figure is quoted to 3 decimal places. You quote an SG of .99 in your first post, was that meant to be SG 0.999 or SG 0.990. If it is the latter then I imagine it has probably fermented out. Best thing is to leave it for a couple of days and then re check the SG. If it is unchanged then it has finished.

I believe it is usually recommended to leave the wine to finish fermentation and then back sweeten after stabilising with sulphite and sorbate or using a non fermentable sweetener.

Rob

Comment

Rob it is SG 0.990

But it is still working very slowly.

Like you said it is to strong to be dry.

Comment

I think that good advice leave it for a couple of days and retest.
            Once it has finished, it might be worth back sweetening it with something non-fermentable (xylitol or canderel). it might even Sherry quite well. All depends on your taste really.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Old un View Post
              Rob it is SG 0.990

But it is still working very slowly.

Like you said it is to strong to be dry.
              It's probably not fermenting any more, .990 is about as done as a wine gets. Further visual activity is usually just CO2 out-gassing.

Steve
              the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
              "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

You could also try "dropping" the alchohol content by mixing with a lower % wine once it has finished fermenting?

Not sure if this would imbalance anything though?

Owl.
                A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Working...
                X