Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 bottle kits

Hi
    I have done a few 6 bottle kits recently, and after racking and fining I am struggling to get 6 bottles, usually 5 bottles and a glass.
    Any suggestions much appreciated as to getting the full quota.
    Dave

It is tricky to get 6 full bottles and the only way I've achieved it is to rack very carefully to ensure the maximum amount of wine is transferred and to top up with a similar wine.

Another method would be to start the wine with a slightly larger volume, maybe an extra 300ml/500ml but that dilutes the concentrate by an extra 10%.

Lately I have started saving the lees from the 2nd racking/fining and decanting that into bottles as you can usually get half a bottle of clear wine settled out of one bottle of sludge.

Rob

Comment

Rack the wine off the sediment and top up the demijohn with grape juice (ordinary, not concentrated, and unsweetened). Use red or white juice depending on the wine you are making. When I used to make kits, I topped up with cold boiled water, but I found that the wine tasted too weak/had less body. Give it a day or two (much more if you can bear the wait, to let it mature) and then bottle.
      Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
      Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
      Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
        Rack the wine off the sediment and top up the demijohn with grape juice (ordinary, not concentrated, and unsweetened). Use red or white juice depending on the wine you are making. When I used to make kits, I topped up with cold boiled water, but I found that the wine tasted too weak/had less body. Give it a day or two (much more if you can bear the wait, to let it mature) and then bottle.
        Is there a danger of it restarting ?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Is there a danger of it restarting ?
          Every kit I have done has had Sorbate supplied as standard. I believe that as long as you follow the instructions the chances of the yeast kicking back into life are pretty slim.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks, will progress to a 23 litre kit and this won't be an issue, just sampling whats out there.

Comment

Originally posted by daft eddy View Post
              Thanks for the advice folks, will progress to a 23 litre kit and this won't be an issue, just sampling whats out there.
              Au contraire mon ami. Does not work like that I'm afraid. One gallon kits are a great way to find out what you like or not. However one gallon demijohns are notoriously inaccurate. I have some that I can rack one to another and have no topping up at all. Of course doing the racking the other way means a lot of topping up. Topping up with grape juice will sweeten your wine and lower the alcohol maybe affecting the balance. Topping up with a similar wine prevents this. Of course this will leave you with an open bottle of wine (which is illegal in some counties). You should drink it immediately to avoid any problems. However you should be getting more than 5 bottles and a glass. Are you tipping the demijohn using a couple of bungs and ensuring the u tube is at the bottom of the valley created? Using a 23 litre bettabottle or equivilent does not give you 30 bottles either. I have a pseudo bettabottle which is clearly marked at 23 litres. From this I get 28 bottles and a good half a bottle. The half a bottle is my reward for the (insert naughty words here) ache that is bottling. Other than that, time is your friend. Even a cheapo kit will improve markedly if left three to six months. Better quality kits (ie Beaverdale or California Conn kits) are drinkable at cleared, fantastic at six months and with an extra dose of suphite, amazing at one year. The really good kits (ie Selection) I am told are quite outstanding at two years. I am building up to this.

I love this hobby!
              Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Originally posted by Original Mac View Post
                Of course this will leave you with an open bottle of wine (which is illegal in some counties).
                By this I guess you mean Yorkshire

You are quite right about demijohns - I have some below 4.5 liter and some just over 5 !! Metrication in guess (blame it on the French) It also happens with carboys - they all look the same, but clearly are not.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I've never had one re-start from adding grape juice, and I found it a better option than just found that topping up with water, as per the instructions. These days I make all my wines from scratch, and I just top up with wine I already have. Yes, it's a much better option, and of course us Tykes cannot have an open bottle, so we drink the rest!
                  Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
                  Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
                  Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Letting the wine sit a little longer before racking to allow the lees to compact more and being careful to get all the clear wine should ensure you get 6 bottles from the kit. they are designed to be topped up a little with water.

patience young Jedi

regards
                    bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I generally leave mine in demis at least 6 months. The lees does compact somewhat - depending on the type of yeast used.

Sometimes i get 6 bottles, but most times i get 5.

Just like making a good sherry, i call it "the angels share" . . .

Happy Easter/Pesach one and all!

Owl.
                      A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Working...
                      X