banana wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• banana wine

hi all im just starting the jack kellers recipe banana wine got it strained and into dj today is foaming like mad had to take some out and put it into a pet will return in a coupel of days has any one made this wine befor .If so what did it turn out like as i love the smell and taste of banana .

I made this just before Christmas and mine has cleared perfectly, I have heard one or two horror stories of banana but went like a dream, and is in my 'to filter' group which will probably be tackled next week. So far it's got a nice bouquet but a slight chemical after taste, only subtle but still not the nicest but I'm hoping this will mellow out with time, I will probably pop this on my long term rack and hopefully it will be a winner. Oh and for the colour it's really good, looked like soap flakes in the dj originally but cracking colour now
    Last edited by HLA91; 04-05-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I started a banana wines last month, I have just degassed it and it is sat in the Brewdio aging, its a lovely golden colour, a lot of lees though. Last taste didn't particularly taste of bananas, but like HLA91, catchy name, says, this is going to be put on the long term shelf.

Comment

Well the one I've got finishing at the moment is a Banana Mead/melomel. So far, it tastes like it'll need to be racked off the lees once finished and then I'm gonna steep some more fruit in the secondary. Plus I'm still mulling over whether I'll add some vanilla as well, though on a whim the other night, I chucked a 340gramme jar of Malt Extract in it - malted banana....... yum yum.

I didn't actually follow any recipe per se, just that I looked around and asked a bit, with the resulting suggestion of "topping and tailing" the fruit, then chopping into slices and boiling it/them. I allowed for 4lb of whole fruit per gallon, but as I had 11lb total, I just did the lot. Then added my honey (local wild flower), which has made it up to about 2 and a half gallons. It's nearly done i.e. the last gravity I took was about 1.002

And yes, I will be back sweetening it with the same honey, to about the 1.010/1.015 area, as I suspect that to retain a reasonable banana taste it will need to be at least "medium sweet"......
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
        X