Wine Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Journal

Sitting at work, slightly bored, thought it would be great to start a wine journal.

I have been making wines now for a good few months, and think it is time to start making some serious records, so I can re-create the fantastic wines I have made.

Do any of you keep detailed notes? What sort of things do you keep?

i was thinking about some sort of spreadsheet (excel) or maybe even a (Word) table so I can record details.

Thoughts please?

Quite a few of the guys and gals use brewtrax

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

You get a 10% discount for being a forum member too

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

and of course we have our own winemaking log too, which can be found (along with tons of other useful stuff in the tools and calculators area of the website, which is accessible by clicking the tools and calculators button at the top of the page

but here is the direct link....

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        we have our own winemaking log
        Cheers Bob - That's what i was looking for - I did a forum search for Wine journal (didn't bring much back).

Didn't think to search for wine log

Comment

That Brewtrax is a nice looking piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
            That Brewtrax is a nice looking piece of software.
            MMMMM my thoughts too - a little more than I was after at this stage, I really wanted a way to record Ingredients, chemicals, timescales etc - the simpler the better. Didn't want to over complicate things.

Just wanted to be able to reproduce what I have made.

Comment

Personally I have gone for the paper notebook format...

Transportable, easy to reach for to read and update and nice to have a flick through it when I am drinking what I have made so I can pick out and note down developments, flavours etc. Sitting at a computer to do that just doesn't appeal to me. Everything I make goes in one book, beer, wine, mead with recipes in a fairly standard format. I use a nice one my wife bought me from paperchase, and my next one will be my own handmade leather bound book .

My wine planner (what wines I want to make next etc.) is a simple excel spreadsheet, so I can keep a track of what juices I have and what needs using up etc. but I have moved on to a monthly cycle of doing two demi johns each month without fail with a view to ageing most of it for a year or so...
              Last edited by Delmonteman; 16-05-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I use Excel and keep all my logs on the network and I can update them from anywhere in the house - even from my phone. I've been thinking about switching over to Google Docs, so all my logs will live "in the cloud" as they say.
                Steve

Comment

I quite fancy a white board for the Brewdio, so I can put the stage all my wines are in: brewing, aging and ready to drink, type scenario. Just so I can see at a glance. I agree with Delmonteman, it is fun flicking through the notebook and remebering wines and reading comments.

Comment

For Beer ProMash does everytthing I need. I would like to try brewtrax but it's not available for Linux and I gave Windows the push years ago.

I had a MySQL database with wine recipes and ferment details but never got round to writing the front end for it. May revisit that and put it on here as freeware if there's enough interest.

http://markblades.com
                    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Working...
                    X