Vinometre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinometre

Has anyone used one, How accurate are they.
    Tom.

Originally posted by jedraka View Post
    Has anyone used one, How accurate are they.
    Tom.
    I've got one (it was cheap), though I've never used it, because of apparent inaccuracy (I also asked a similar question when I first started). So it just sits in the bottom of my "brew stuff" box. If you take readings with a hydrometer, and then use Bob's conversion chart (which lists the drops in gravity points and the equivalent to the % ABV), you don't need to worry about a magic bullet device like a vinometre - which isn't a magic bullet after all.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Hi fatbloke,
      to be honest with you I thought it was too good to be true, I was hoping to use it as a double check, if you like, so that I could test the finished wine
      to see if I'd achieved the alcohol content I had planned, but the general opinion is they are not reliable enough so it will most likely end up in the bottom
      of my "brew stuff" box, Thank's for your reply.
      Tom.

Comment

The science behind them is correct, but the finished product does vary in quality. They are 'OK' as a 'rough' guide.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by jedraka View Post
          Hi fatbloke,
          to be honest with you I thought it was too good to be true, I was hoping to use it as a double check, if you like, so that I could test the finished wine
          to see if I'd achieved the alcohol content I had planned, but the general opinion is they are not reliable enough so it will most likely end up in the bottom
          of my "brew stuff" box, Thank's for your reply.
          Tom.
          Well I seem to recall that I got mine as per what Brian (Cellar_Rat) said, but what I said about using gravity and Bob's chart to work it out, is probably more accurate than the rough "guesstimate" as Brian alluded to. I already had the hydrometer so just went with that, in the knowledge that the vinometre cost me a couple of quid so it was "nothing lost".......

Plus as I make mostly meads, I find the there's a huge margin for error already as honey musts might conform to the numbers, they certainly aren't as predictable as grape or other fruit batches - and of course, like the rest of us, I certainly don't have the readies to think about using stuff like densiometers, gas chrom's or mass spec devices to achieve mega accuracy required by the "men with funny shaped heads" (HMRC).......
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

JFB. Absolutely agree!
            I only use my vinometer when my baggy hands forget to either a) use the hydrometer in the first place or b) forgot to write it down.
            Good use of a hydrometer or refractometer and you don't need it.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

and if you forget to take an OG reading you can still work out the final ABV using BOTH a refractometer and a hydrometer on the finished wine/bee. Result!

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Confession time then. I use a refractometer to start get my 'start point' in brix - SOOOOOO MUCH easier, both for testing, adding sugar and reading.
                And I bung the hydrometer into the must to confirm it has finished.

Comment

I only use my hydrometer, works fine for me, see no need in using the vinometer

Comment

JIMMY_T
                    Yes it work's fine for me too, My intention ( had it proved to be more accurate ) was to use it as a cross reference, Belt and brace's if you like. None
                    of us can be certain of the exact alcohol content of our finished wine, I just naively thought it was a magic tool that would give me a more accurate reading, No such luck.
                    Thank's for your reply.
                    Tom.

Comment

Working...
                    X